Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advancing my slapping technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    I can slap and pop pretty good and left and slap a lil bit. but when i slap it is just your average sound, how do you get that marcus miller kinda slap??

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    That "Marcus Miller" sound comes from a 70's ash-bodied Fender Jazz Bass with a Bart preamp. Bass and treble are boosted to give a "smiley face"-type of equalisation. What makes it really sound like Marcus though, is Marcus himself. But that active Fender is the key to his signature sound.

So I don't think it has very much to do with technique.

3. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    thanx, so my technique is fine its just my bass?

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    How can one judge that over the internet???

5. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    Fishbrain, what we mean is that it is the bass and amp that gives marcus the sound that you hear. if you buy a bass and hope it will sound like one of the greats instantly, youre wrong. marcus has a 70's bass, its had about 30 years to age to perfection and to call its own tonality up.

my advice is: play the best you can always, no exceptions.
    AllodoX may play an ibannez but ill bet he aint no feildy, in a good way. :D

you get what im saying or have i confused you as much as i have confused myself.
    later
    Lukas

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    While it's true that the 'sound is in the fingers', gear can have an impact on the sound. I play a Jazz bass, in homage to Marcus, and I put a J-Retro preamp in it. I don't sound just like Marcus, by any stretch, but I'm much closer to his sound than I was on my Yamaha TRB6P.....

That said, listen to Marcus, and every other great player out there. Try to absorb what they're doing, and then let it come out your own way. You'll be much happier.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A tip to get a closer MM sound:

Slap between the fretboard and the neck pickup with the thumb, instead of over the highest frets.

8. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    thanx again for all the advice :)

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    I kinda ran into the same problem when I started learning slap (although I had no clue who Marcus Miller was at the time).

I was really disappointed in the sound of my "pops." They sounded really lackluster, and I blamed my cheap bass for it.

Turns out that my technique was really "lazy." I fixed my popping technique and now can approximate a "professional" pop-sound (or at least get closer to it than before).

Unfortunately, I don't know (and can't know) if you have my exact problem since that would require observation. And if you do, no one can really show you to fix that problem.