advancing the slap bass skills

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by FaultLine423, Nov 4, 2000.

1. FaultLine423

Aug 27, 2000
    hi everyone. I'm looking to advance my slap bass skills. My number one problem is that my bass teacher doesn't know enough about slap bass to teach me anything I don't already know. I was wondering what, if any, are some good "advanced slap bass technique" methods that I could study. This would include anything from videos to excercise books. It's just that right now I'm stuck in the whole Flea style of slap bass, which frankly bores me quite a bit, and I'd like to advance beyond that. The most important things to me that I would like to advance the fluidity of my slapping and pop, and my speed. Thank you.
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I'm no expert-
    That said...
    From a sheer physicality issue, are you into the Alain Caron/Vic Wooten-style of Thumb DOWN/UP, Pluck1/Pluck2 method? I know I'm not! :D
    Check out Caron's groove on "Slam The Clown"(off his RHYTHM 'N' JAZZ cd). That's how he's getting that steady 1/16 note, machined gunned grooooove!

When I'm in serious practice mode, I'll take a drum/percussion book & attempt to play a drum part by using a combination of thumps, slaps, & pops(& hopefully in a way that's totally "foreign" to what my hands are used to doing). You can take a "simple" Ago-go rhythm & make a slap/pop bass figure out of it. It's fun!

Something else that I'm constantly working on-
    Cross rhythms(again)!
    There's "3 over 4"; "5 over 4"; "6 over 4"; "7 over 4"; etc Too, Latin claves are cool to work with; there's a ton of S*** out there!

Anyway, take the "3 over 4" figure-
    The "3" part is the Downbeats: 1-2-3
    The "4" part is "what's left": 1-a-&-e
    ***Note that BOTH begin on the "1"***
    What you can do is play the "3" part as your LEFT hand(fretting hand)slap & play the "4" part as your RIGHT hand(plucking hand)thumps &/or pops.
  3. FaultLine423

Aug 27, 2000
    I just have a couple of questions, JimK.
    1. You said you can use slap, pop, and thump for slapping out drum rhythms. What is thump? (this is probably something obvious, right?)
    2. What does pluck1/pluck2 mean?
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Thump=Thumb(Sorry; I guess it's called "slap"..."slap" CAN be what the fretting hand does, too).

P1=Popping with the index finger of your plucking hand.
    P2=popping with the middle finger of your plucking hand.

If you hit
    you'll see a couple of his lessons that incorporate P1/P2.
    As a drummer once showed me, keep those fingers(index & middle)FIXED & merely thrust upwards; DO NOT pop individually(unless that's what you're goin' for). also has some interesting slap/pop lessons & excercises. Larue's examples are musical & the concepts are really usable. IMO, Larue is a happenin' player AND instructor.
    I like his "Playing/Slapping Across the Bar-line" examples.
    Too, his "3+2" Lessons(I think that's what he's calling them)are cool 'cause they're in 4/4, yet give the illusion of playing in ODD time.
  5. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    you may also want to check out these two video's:

alexis sklarevski's slap bass program
    abraham laboriel's intro to slap bass (i know it's intro , but he does this interesting thing where he "pops" with his thumb, instead of "slapping".
  6. asu

Aug 18, 2008
    how to increase the speed of the slap n pop technique?is there any special right hand position which facilitates speed.
  7. Phantopeth

Jan 10, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Vic Wooten's instructional videos you can find on YouTube will introduce you to his double-thumb or whatever he calls it technique: check that out.

Something I would suggest, since you say you're stuck in a rut of slapping in Flea's sort of style, is to pick a paricular mode that isn't Dorian and slap around without deviating from the particular scale you chose. Slapping in strictly natural major can be a fun challenge when you're stuck in the Flea mindset (I was there once, myself). Just try to phrase things differently: maybe don't allow yourself to pop that octave.

In my opinion, the best skill you can learn when it comes to slap is when to not do it. And then, how to do it tastefully. But that's a whole nother issue.
  8. I second this motion....

I took more away from this book than any other self-help instruction. From crap-slap to funky in a few weeks.
  9. onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
  10. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I got some new tricks (left hand slapping, 3 or 4 ways to do triplets, and some rhythmic things) from Ed Friedland's DVD. Like Pierce, above post, I dug Alexis Sklarevsky's DVD, as well--but Friedland's got a nice funk groove to his exercises, while Sklarevsky's groove is more straight rock.

Here's Friedland's:

I got it cheap, on the Marketplace.
  11. ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    You might be interested in checking out this thread over in the "Technique" Forum right here on TB. :hyper:

Lots of info, vids, ideas! :bassist: Lotta love went in to this thread! :cool:

to get fast, start slow. ;)

I also enjoyed reading through Percussive Slap Bass by Chris Matheos as one kind of an advanced technique method.
    Kind of a limited technique, but fun to learn and play. Really fun style if you're just playing with a drummer.
    This site has sound clips and book info, but cheaper to buy at Amazon
  12. nbw

Nov 10, 2003
    Arlington Texas
    After eight years since making this thread I wonder how much FaultLine423's slapping has improved. I too have much of the same issues mentioned, hard to escape the flea style as well as getting stuck in to octave bulling. lol
  13. Phantopeth

Jan 10, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    LOL! :hyper: