Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advantage of 2 4x10 vs. 1 6x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hookus, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Are there any advantages to running 2 4x10's over a single 6x10?

I currently have two 4x10 SWR cabs, and am thinking of selling them and buying the Goliath Sr., 6x10. Pros/cons?

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    1) The Gol Sr. would not be as loud.
    2) A 610 is bigger than a 410, so if you only needed 1 410 you would be stuck with a bigger cab.
    3) By selling your 2 410s and buying a 610, you are going to be at a net loss because the new cab will go down in value, while your 410s have already gone down in value.
    If you are looking at a change in cab maker, then you should consider a 610, but not if you are trying to get the same sound.

3. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you don't limit yourself to brands...
    I can think of a lot of advantages to 1 6x10 vs. 2 4x10's.

For example, I own a Bergantino NV610 and I own two Aguilar GS410's. Although I have no doubt that the two GS410's are louder than the NV610 (only at ridiculous volume), however...a bergantino NV610 is the same weight as a single aguilar gs410.
    So in my case, a single 6x10 can be more beneficial to have to two 4x10's. I don't think one setup is "better" per say... Just different applications for different circumstances.

If I were only able to afford one, I would just own the Bergie. It just makes the most sense to me. It has punishing volume if necessary, it's portable and just downright excellent.

There is one in the classified section if you want one.

In your case, with your SWR's, I would agree with "plain old me". However, if you're willing to let go of using SWR, I think you could get a 6x10 that would be a win win.

-Poon

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    you'll fit your gear in your car easier... ;)

i really dont like scaring people from killer gear, but IMHO, the berg cab might not be what you want, especially if you're used to the SWR sound. the berg cab doesnt have a tweeter, so its much more midrangey and darker.

the only other 610 that has a tweeter and more open in the higher end is the Epifani UL610, and you best be prepared to sever your right arm and leg for that one.

5. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I tried both and chose the 4x10s two of them. The goliath Sr. is made to be a very loud cab. A tech from another company I won't mention told me this. He knows the guys who designed it and explained this to me. You can tweek a cab for different strengths, volume frequency response etc. They gave up some freq resp to get it loud. Next to a GIII it has a noticable roll off it doesn't go as deep. If you play a 4 string this may not matter. It was designed for a certain type of music and is great at it. Whether other manufacturers 6x10s are like this I can't say. I used a Bass 750 and a Roscoe 5 with the Aguilar 18v pre which is capable of serious lows. The difference was huge quiet or loud. The senior sounded good and projected. Also for me if it's an SWR gig I need either one or two and a 6x10 would be too much or too little. I have stacking options and I can unplug one or point it at the drummer or tilt one back and leave one flat on the floor. Good hunting but you may like Dorothy have it all at home.

6. Dell

Dell

Apr 7, 2005
    What about the Warwick 6x10? They have a horn, and very cheap. Never heard one though...

7. jordanm

jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    +1 for smaller cabs. My Mesa 2x15 hasn't left the house in awhile, Trace 2x10 fits in my Camaro :p

8. If you have an amp that goes to 2 ohms you can use 2 Epi UL310s and have an extremely portable, very loud 610.

9. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA

[​IMG]

Think mesa has a 6x10 that has a horn too...

10. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Very true...

11. Ampeg and Genz Benz 6x10's have horns as well.

12. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The NV610 is just stupid easy to move around. I'd gig with it over just about any 4x10.

13. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    For clarification, I love 610s. I own a Bergie 610 and its my main gigging cab. But a change from s Gol IIIs to a Gol Sr. doesn't make much sense to me.

14. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Mmm, guess it is just me being lazy. I hate making two trips to the car for cabinets, and some clubs here in Austin are upstairs.

I like the SWR sound, and play only 4 strings. Excellent point about diminishing returns on value, though. I looked at a Mesa Boogie last night, but I could only get about half the price by selling both cabs. My initial logic in buying two 8 ohm 4x10's was modularity. So I could use just one, or use both. I tend to use both all the time, just because it sounds fuller, even at lower volumes.

15. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I hauled around two 410 cabinets for 10 years and got tired of it. But I loved the sound.

So I sold the two 410 cabs and bought one high end 410, which was alot easier to move around and sounded very good. I used this for two and a half years. However, it wasn't capable of handling every gig situation that I encountered, so I chose to sell it and buy a new 610 that was capable of handling more power and offered an extended range.

I have not changed my amp head during any of this. It's remained constant.

I looked at a number of 610 cabinets on the market and could get a great deal on the Warwick, but for my purposes, I needed a cabinet that my amp could sit on with it's weight evenly distributed over the top of the cabinet.

In the end I decided to buy a Genz Benz GB610T-XB2. I'm very happy with this cab. It sounds like 810's without the massive size of an 810 cabinet or two 410 cabs.

[​IMG]

TD
    :cool:

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    *shrug*

oohhh man, that's the rig o' the year. course, you could save your money and simply get a UL610. then again, given the epifani prices, you'll still out an arm and a leg. ;)

17. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i have been debating a similar gear idea myself. yeah, 2 4x10s look cool, but a 6x10 is more practical. yes, it is big and heavy BUT i think it is easier to move around... you can just tip it into your car (depending on your car- i have a mazda3 5 door (station wagon) so i can just open the back and load it up easily), it has wheels and handles built in like an 8x10 (no need to bend over to push it like a shorter 4x10) and it's easier to get up stairs than a 4x10 (unless you just want to dead lift it- i have decided that regardless of my cab choice, i am going to get a 2 wheel dolly to move stuff up and down stairs and save wear and tear on my back and cab- they're not that expensive and i have enough room for it in the g ride :smug: )... as for volume, if i am ever playing a gig where one 6x10 isn't enough, then i will worry about it... the berg 6x10 is under 100 lbs, the eden xlt (which has a horn) that i am looking at is under 140. btw, this argument also holds true for the vertical-ish 4x12 cabs...

18. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    What about a 4x10 and a 2x10? I think this would be easier to put in a car and would allow better placement and free up more space for other gear that might need to be taken. Especially if you had stairs. Why carry one heavy load when you can carry two lighter ones?(I'm probably more talking about dead lift though, which is all there seems to be when it comes to stairs and gear from my own experience). In my experience any thing remotely heavy would get lifted by two guys up a stairs anyway. If you have wheels on the cab amount of stuff you can bring in with one load along flat runs is serious. I've often stacked my little gallien krueger 1x15 with well over twice its height with racks and cases which is saves you more than one trip to the car/van. In fact our whole PA acts as load of trolleys. Each cab has wheels on the back which means we can bring more stuff out in single runs. The more stuff with wheels the better.

19. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Why not 2 610's?
    Then you can still make the 2 trips you want, bang up the oversized gear sooner, have the drummer AND the guitarist wearing ear plugs, and start your sweating before the show begins. :hyper:

20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Misc thoughts on two Goliaths versus one Goliath Sr:

The Goliath Sr. can get freakin' loud (I used to own one). Not as loud as two Goliaths, but do you really need the difference?

The Goliath Sr. takes up less room overall than the two 4x10 cabs. However: depending on your vehicle, it's possible that two 4x10 cabs will fit better than one 6x10. Of course the 6x10 is bigger than one 4x10 (see below).

The 4x10/4x10 stack is a smidge taller... you might be able to hear yourself on stage a little better.

With two 4x10's, you have the option of bringing just one of them to small gigs/rehearsals.

I'm not offering an opinion either way, just some pros and cons. FWIW I used to choose between two Goliath Jr. 2x10 cabs and one Goliath Sr. I now have the Bergantino NV610 which is lighter and smaller and therefore easier to move than the SWR 6x10. But the Berg is a sealed/tweeterless cabinet, and has a much different sound. If you like the SWR sound, stick with SWR cabs.