1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advantages and disadvantages of placing a cover bridge on a jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by doktormerol, Mar 21, 2013.

1. doktormerol

doktormerol

Mar 21, 2013
    I have a White Jazz Bass, looks and sound very cool, but I always think that looks kind of classic, so I was thinking in put a bridge cover on my bass, but i don't know if this change the sound or something?

Advantages and disadvantages of placing a cover bridge on a jazz bass?

:confused:

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

No advantage. Disadvantage: you can't palm mute. No tonal change. That's it.

3. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Possible cosmetic disadvantage: screw holes.

4. Truktek2

Truktek2

Sep 5, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Advantage = Looks good
    Disadvantage = Can't pluck strings over bridge pickup.

5. doktormerol

doktormerol

Mar 21, 2013
    Thanks guys! =)

6. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    It won't fit over many bridges is one disadvantage. It's not really player friendly is another. It looks fabulous in pictures is the main advantage.

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    If its got the old style femder brdge with saddle screws sticking way up, & rough saddle parts, the cover can prevent the sharp pokey parts of bridge from eating and gnawing ones hand. However the front edge of the covers while not as bad as the bridge itself, is also a bit overly thin and can be somewhat sharp creating a new hand hazard if used for handrest.

8. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    It changes the sound if you have the foam rubber mute affixed to it. Otherwise it just looks great. And as much as I love the look, I don't play with it on. I stuff foam under the strings.

9. A bridge cover creates a magnetic sonic field that increases the tonal and visual quality 100%.
    Then again, maybe not. Besides who you gonna believe, your ears or your lying eyes?

Advantage: it's free to not have a cover
    Disadvantage: it's about $24 for a cheap one
    A scantily clad woman is a lot sexier than a completely naked girl. And so it goes with basses, then again, maybe not.
    All said and done, I'll probably clad my Squier Jazz bridge with a cover. The one I put on my P-bass looks outstanding
    but I'm still waiting for that sonic tonal boost.
    Tal says, No to cover; Bob says yes.
    [​IMG] images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT78ErJ2qoBanhdZuuCDka3nl3Yf6cd1iaF8GzCZ6hbLvpLFYht.

10. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Ah Tal, correct once again. I betcha Bob just is unable to operate a screw driver.

My old Jazz has the bridge cover only. Sure I won't palm mute but I seldom need to. If I do I have others to play. That Fifty year old ashtray just looks so awesome. If only the pup cover wasn't in my way I'd be kicking it Bob-style.

11. I love my covers...

Attached Files:

12. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    When I built this Warmoth I decided the standard J cover was a bit too big, so I went with something unconventional and put a P cover on it.

It covers the bridge and still allows me to play over the bridge pickup.

Attached Files:

13. Ha, good one...and quite accurate in my view