Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

advantages/disadvantages to sopabars

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by instigata, Mar 19, 2006.

1. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    just gotta kno.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    no inherent disadvantages - soapbar doesn't denote a coil configuration, just a shape.
    Soapbars can be single coil, P, reverse P, dual coil, quad coil... you name it.

3. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    o yea... should have specified. dual coils.

4. I can't see any disadvantage other than someone may prefer the single coil sound over the duals. Single coils tend to have brighter top ends, but with todays PUP technology and pre-amp designs, there's a lot more to the sound than just picking a type.

By the way, I saw a friend's band play last night and one of the guitarists had a new Fender Showmaster. He has the version with the dual humbuckers. It sounded great. It breaks my belief that I only like single coils on a Fender. My point being that it's best to play/listen to different things with an open mind before making a decision.

Paul Mac

5. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    theres just SO much out there. and i don't have access to alot of the "higher end" pickups.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    any specific brand of dual coils?
    Series hard wired? Parallel hard wired? Switchable?