Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

advantages of 8 ohm/ 4 ohm cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by violatedppl, Oct 8, 2005.

1. I have been here for a while and still HAve questions on this. Would it be better to run 2 8 ohm cabs to get a total imp of 4 ohms or one 4 ohm cab. This is just a question that has been in my head for a while. Also would it be better to run 4 8ohm cabs instead of 2 4 ohms cabs to run down to 2 ohms. and is their any adverse affect on the amp if it is raited down to 2 ohms in doing something like that.

2. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Electrically, as far as the amp is concerned - no difference. It will put out the same power in either case. Regarding power handling of the speakers, typically the more cabs the better, since you can take more power. Regarding sound, no rules - give it a listen and see what you like more. More cabs typically would equate to more cone area == better lows, but once again, it depends what sound you are looking for.

- Tim

3. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    The vast majority of heads out there only will run down to 4 ohms. Many larger power amps and some heads can run 2, but not all that common for a head.

I would consider what you want your rig to eventually be. I consider 8 ohm cabinets to be more versatile. Run two of them for a 4 ohm load. Alternatively, you could get one large cabinet with like 8x10's at 4 ohms (or wire it to 4 ohms), if that is a big as you want to get.

I personally use two 8 ohm cabinets.

4. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    the idea of having diffetent impedences is to go you (and the rest of us) the ability to mix and match different cabs. for example, assume a given amp puts out 700W@2ohms, 600W@4ohms, 400@8ohms. Lets also assume that you have a 115 8ohm cab. if you decided that you wanted to add a second cab to get more clarity and top end (like a 410 for example), you could either use a second 8ohm cab for a total impedance of 4 ohm, or you could use a single 4 ohm cab. using the single cab will rob you of the mixing and matching you wanted to achieve with the 115, but you can use a more powerful 4 ohm cab if you want to use a single cab.

So you see, the different options are basically down to two reasons:
    1. Mixing and matching cabs (eg 115 and 410)
    2. Getting more power out of your amp (many cabs have the same power rating but different impedences so different amps can be used to power them).

As for the number of cabs, it just depends on the sound you want. You could use 4x8 ohm cabs (for a total impedance of 2 ohms) to get that bigger stage sound. Or you could use two 4ohm cabs so you have less things to carry.

One perfect example:

Groovebass 1200, 1200W @ 2ohms (from memory)
    The owner would be wise to get 2x4ohm cabs instead of 2x8ohm cabs to get maximum power out of the amp.

GK 1001RB-II (i get mine soon!!!), 700W@4ohms.
    So i would be basically be restricted to 2x8ohm cabs if i wanted more than one cab.

5. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    This is just to add/augment to what others have already said.

It depends on your desired cab configuration. If you only want a single cab and you know for a fact that you will NEVER want to add a cab then I would get a 4ohm cab. That way I would get the most power from my head, unless it went down to 2ohms, then you could still add another 4ohm cab or 1 or 2 8ohm cabs.

But as far as tone goes, there is no difference.

As far as amp safety goes, go by the manufacturers spec. If it is rated to run at 4 ohms then you can run it at 8 or 4 ohms. Running at 4ohms generates more heat but if it is rated for 4ohms that should not be a problem under normal environmental circumstances.

See my explanation above. As long as it is rated to run at 2ohm then you can run at 2ohms. Speaker config is purely a matter of what YOU want, providing you know what you actually need.

Nope. Not if it is rated for it. If you do have a problem it will be warrantied (as long as it is in the warranty period).

If it is NOT rated for it any damage is your own fault.

:D

Joe.

6. cool beans, thanks for the help, but now I know someone who wants to sell a peavey 412 for 200, now think of what m neigbors would think of a 412 ontop of a 412 for the after work practice. it would be great, not sure if it would fit in my car :bawl: but the thought :hyper: :bassist: but for me that would only be 500 watts, not sure if I could really push it like that since at 350 watts and 4 ohms unless I have my compressor on a bite the DDT protection really likes to come on alot. Also if anyone knows. When the DDT protection comes on is that the amp just keeping itself from clipping, or is that the amp actually cliping. and is it bad for it to come on oftem, (ie a few times every 10 seconds let say)? thanks

7. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    You could probably run it with the light constantly on, and it would not matter. It just means the compression is on.