Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

advantages of a preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JacksonsMen, Feb 2, 2006.

1. whats the point in running a preamp if my amp already has one built in? i was thinking about getting a tube preamp, but is there a point?

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Adding a second pre to a head will give you a different tone. If you are adding a tube pre (like you mentioned) to a solid state head (if this is the case,) you may end up with a warmer tone than you had before. The new pre could have more or less prononced bass, mid, or treble response, also.

What type of head do you have now? What tube pre are you looking at?

3. right now its a Hartke HA2500 (i know, nothin great, but it gets the job done)

i was looking at something like an ampeg preamp or something, not really sure yet, i just figured that a tube preamp would (obviously) give a warmer tube tone

4. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    The Ampeg will definitely add some tube warmth and grind, if need be.

The HA2500 is a solid amp. I used to own a Hartke 1415 combo and it never let me down.

5. im actually in the process of adding a 1x15 to my rig, so we'll see if the HA is enough to push both, but i dont really have any doubts about that

ill have to add the ampeg to my GAS list though, i just got a bill for school today that i thought was already paid

6. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    C'mon now. Prioritize. ;) :)