Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advantages of Glass Master?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by chaosMK, Mar 1, 2006.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    My band is looking into different companies to produce about 1000 CDs. A studio friend of mine suggested using a company that uses a "glass master" to press the CD's. Are there any advantages to this, or is it more of a psychological preference?

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    bump! The time is almost here to get our CD's manufactured. No one has heard of this?

3. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Have you tried posting this in the recording gear/equipment section as well? They may have some better feedback for you...

4. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i believe every company uses a glass master. industry standard. we got our cd done at "on4prod.com"

5. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Replication is done with a glass master, Duplication is done by writing to blank CD's with a laser like you can do at home. You can get a bit more music space on a glass master and you should be compatible with more machines though that isn't the problem it used to be.

A glass master doesn't make financial sense till you order about a 1000, duplication is often cheaper for under a 1000 but it varies widely and many of the replication companies you see online are just storefronts for the same factories.

6. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Oh, and replicated discs apparently last longer.