1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advantages of onboard preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bramhc, Jul 9, 2014.

1. bramhc

bramhc Banned

Jan 31, 2014
    Jakarta
    Beside lot of tonal option and hotter output, would you mind tell me more specifics advantages using an onboard preamp?

I'm sorry if my english isn't good enough. Cheers.

2. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    The low-impedance output means you can use a longer cord between your bass and your amp without signal degrading. I think having more tonal options is the main reason for having an on-board preamp.

bramhc likes this.
  3. Marihino

Marihino

Mar 25, 2010
    London
    +1 to what Crater said - the buffer is the biggest advantage to me, although I do occasionally use the tone shaping properties. Hotter output? Not really an advantage, all amps I ever use have a gain stage. Plus, my passive Yamaha BB has a slightly higher signal levels than my jazz with Sadowsky pre (unless I boost lows).

bramhc likes this.
  4. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    specifics advantages using an onboard preamp... vs rack/pedal preamp?
    the controllers are closer to the player while playing tha bass, less gear to bring..:D

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    They're good for correcting tonal issues you're having without having to go back to the amp, they're good for correcting issues with the mix when you step out into the crowd, they're good for making two different basses sound more similar, they're good for changing sounds to suit certain songs better, etc. Don't have pres on all my basses, but the ones that have them are a lot of fun.

bramhc likes this.