advantages of super light strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassist286, Oct 16, 2005.

1. bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    i'm curious about super lights. like 90 or 95 gague.?
  2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    They'd be great for certain applications, not good at all for others. Very good for subtle, nuanced, highly-melodic material; especially solo material. Not recommended for generating a huge, phat, aggressive groove...

That what ya had in mind?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i see no advantage whatsoever, unless you like to bend strings to an outrageous degree. But that's nothing you can't do with a little muscle and regular strings. I used them for a year, and quite frankly, I think they made my chops not so good. Plus they just don't sound so hot. I prefer a string that makes you work a little and rewards you with fat tone.
    handofseven likes this.
  4. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Low tension!

Great for solos. Easy bends/vibratos.

Not so good for tone due to lower magnetic footprint, and reduced tension.
  5. They feel "alive" and have loads of snap. I think they growl like nothing else, if you are used to them.

I have played 35-95 guage rounds for years and playing anything heavier just feels and sounds wrong to me now...
  6. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    10 years later.....

I've recently discovered the joys of super duper light strings. I have the ADGC of a hibeam set (85-65-45-30) strung EADG on my active jazz and I love it. I have low action and a light touch and the sound is full and fat and thunderous and they're easy to play. It's mostly the ease of playing that I like. My extreme laziness is a big part of it and making it as easy as possible is great. People say they're not good for full and fat tones but I'm not having that problem. I gigged with them the other night and it sounded fantastic.
    Root 5 likes this.
  7. friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    When I'm playing enough of it I set a bass up with 30-90 gauge strings for gospel/r&b and funk. They help me get speed, nuance, ease of slapping, tapping, and grabbing, and generally I like the feel. I normally play a 40-90 or 95 set now just because I like it so much. I dont find myself eqing in any more gain or bottom than I do with bigger gauge strings, but the sound is a little bit more "rubber bandy" I guess. I like it the it feels snappy. I'd say try it and don't freak out if you get some fret buzz on a bass where there was none, you may have to adjust the truss rod for lower action.
    The only disadvantages I had were drop D became challenging because the string was really floppy, but not undoable, I did have to adjust my truss rod on 2 basses, and my metal friends give me poopie but hey, I give as good as I get ;)
    Just to cite the strings Im using, Rotosound funkmasters (30-90), rotosound swing bass medium light (45-95) and Ernie Ball extra slinkies (40-90). I'd say my favorite are the swing bass, for versatility and I love the rotosound sound, but the funkmasters were so much fun the tension is so low slapping is almost easier than fingerstyle. The extra slinkies are also rock solid.
  8. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Low tension, easier to play, nice snappy sound, deeper and clearer bottom end than big fat stiff strings.
    Root 5 and James Hart like this.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Wow, how things change! Back then, I think I was trying to talk myself into keeping the 45-100 gauge strings I was using because I had so many sets left over. Wasn't long after this post that I ate them and changed to 40-95. As I get older, I just don't want to work that hard anymore. I'm currently using Dunlop Super Bright Nickels 40-100, which are pretty low tension, and I am loving it. I still get a fat sound, too. Doubt I'd want to go lighter, but I know I don't want to go heavier.
    Short-scale and SirMjac28 like this.
  10. mmbongo

lol I didn't even realize this was a 10 year old thread!
    Short-scale, SirMjac28 and Root 5 like this.
  11. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I'm really digging the extra super light 35-95 D'addario prosteel set I have on now. Lightest gauge I've ever used - i was a bit worried they'd be too floppy but they feel great!
  12. 80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    This was the first 35-95 set I tried, and when I replaced them I was amazed at how stiff they were.
  13. f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Lazarus thread! I'll play along, though.

Light gauge strings have a stronger fundamental, a little less harmonic content, and are harder to play well. (I used to play Labella Jamersons, and now play DR Hi Beams in 40-60-80-95.)
  14. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I'm glad this thread was resurrected I will be experimenting on a light set soon.
    Short-scale likes this.
  15. Funkmabassup

Jul 16, 2013
    I love everything about light strings, more playavble, clear nice sound and dynamic nuances require less effort. Also i strongly belive the lesser tension is good for the bass neck in the long run.
  16. mmbongo

I think you meant to say 'heavy guage'...not 'light gauge'.
  17. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Mahwah, NJ
    I recently put a set of Rotosound Swing 66 (35 55 70 90) on and I'm diggin them!

They just seem a little looser to me. More fun and easier to work with.

I haven't had to "re-eq" anything so the difference in tone lowness or fatness hasn't been an issue for me- yet.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  18. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I played my 85-65-45-30 hibeam stung jazz bass at a little bar gig on Sunday. Sounded great. An added benefit is when the guitar player tries to play my bass he makes an awful buzzy mess and I get to laugh at him.
    Short-scale likes this.
  19. f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Nope. I meant exactly what I said. It may be counterintuitive, but physics backs me up on this one.
  20. mmbongo

Dang, works the opposite for me. I get more harmonics from lighter strings because they vibrate more freely and have a wider excursion. I also find them much easier to play because they are looser and easier to fret and bend. I have to fight larger, stiffer strings.