Advantages of the Precision over the Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jul 13, 2001.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I read that when Fender created the Jazz Bass, It was more of a marketing move than anything else. The logic was that, since the Precision showed that there was a market for the Electric Bass, they should create a prettier, more expensive model. Of course, that doesn't mean it's a better instrument. I also read that one advantage the Precision has over the Jazz is that you can adjust the volume of one induvidual string if you want to because of the split pickup. Does anyone know if the Precision has any other advantages over the Jazz Bass?
  2. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Fatter sound
    Lighter body
    Fatter sound
    Thicker neck...
    and Phatter sound of course

All these things depend on taste and on the specific bass.

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    IMO there are no real advantages to either one in any objective sense. It's just taste. I personally wouldn't play a Precision if you paid me. Don't care for them and never have. Other wouldn't play anything else.
  4. One advantage for us poor people is that it is cheaper.
  5. well, it's stoopid easy to use, for one thing. two knobs, one of which should be permanantly on full. i like simplicity.
  6. O.K. No arguments here, but, I think this question should be posed the other way around: Advantages of the Jazz over the Precision.

Precisions are one of the best basses around probably because they are simple, dependable, and sound great. However, their one drawback that most people will agree with is their lack of versatility. While you can get a Jazz Bass to sound close to that of a Precision, the reverse really can't be claimed. Forget the Jazz neck and body shape.
    What I'm talking about is the bridge pickup. While a P-bass has that one excellent sound, the Jazz has three; both pickups together, or either one soloed.
    A Precision just can't produce those throaty spitting sounds that playing over the soloed bridge pickup gives you. Again, neither one is better, but, the Jazz gives more tonal options.

When you must choose which to buy, this should just be a temporary decision; buy one, then the other.

Mike J.
  7. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    Hence the "P vs. J" instead of the other way round.

The question is: In which way was Leo's idea better than the one that was created afterwards based on his design?
  8. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    No advantages, no disadvatages to me. Yeah tonally stuff but thats a preference, neck shapes & body shapes are also preference. I like 'em both besides-shouldn't we all own @ least 1 of each eventually :D
  9. Randy Payne

Randy Payne

Jan 1, 2001
    A jazz is more versatile than a P because of the two pickups vs one. The Jazz neck is slimmer; this is a good thing if you like slim necks. Get a PJ pickup config. Then it's an open and shut case which is "better". (Someone tell me why a P would be better than a PJ!)

10. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000

Thanks for your reply, but I'm not seeking advice on which Fender to get. I already have a '69 Precision and two Jazz Bass copies. this thread is just a design discussion. The word "Better" was never used it that context.
  11. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    Being broke and liking both basses, I have to say the PJ configuration has its advantages over each. Its like owning both basses(pretty much) for the price of one. I like those numbers. I change my preferences every day when I wake up. Sometimes I like a really fat sound and sometimes I like the nasel-y sound. PJ offers both. The versitility of the Jazz is nice, but the versitility of a PJ is even greater than that of a Jazz.
  12. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    With the PJ, you can't exactly achieve the Jazz Bass sound. You can reach an approximation. The sound is more like a P with a hint of J, rather than a J with a hint of P.
    However, a PJ can sound just like a P by just rolling off the J pickup.
  13. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    It's cheaper to buy a 60's P bass that it is to buy a 60's Jazz.
  14. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I'm with RockinJC on this one:

Thicker Neck!!! For me, baseball bats rule!

On the PJ issue, has anyone else noticed a bit pf phase cancellation when rolling in the J pickup? I've tried a number of them, but my ears can't get past this slight honk at some point in the blend. Maybe I'm weird or something...

I will always own at least one of each, and will probably never have a PJ again for the reason above...

15. Randy Payne

Randy Payne

Jan 1, 2001
    I've had a 2 PJ's now, and I haven't noticed any phase cancellation at any setting. Maybe what you're calling phase cancellation is just how it sounds with both pickups on ??? I use pickup blend pots on all my basses. I usually use a 50k linear taper.

16. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I really like the PJ setup... I've been really eyeballing the Fender MIA P-bass Hot Rod...
  17. dawgawd

Mar 23, 2000
    I own two basses, a Squire P bass and a Standard J bass 5 string...

now, it's unfair for me to compare them, because the squire is... well, a squier. However, i think i can get the general idea from it of what P Basses are about. I like the neck on it, some of my friends complain that it is fat, but i like it. More to hold on to. The major problem i noticed with it was that it seemed to be hard to slap with. Keep in mind, I'm talking about a squier here, I'm aware that they don't compare with actual fenders. My J bass seems to be all about slapping and funk and all that weird stuff, so much so that it almost seems hard to play anything outside that style on it. as far as tone goes, i have no complaint with my J bass, I really like it and can dial in quite a few sounds with it. On my J bass I am limited, and what sound I do have is pretty hollow (again, i blame this on being a cheaper model). I don't think however that either kind is better than the other, it seems like a prefference thing to me.
  18. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    My PJ is a Jazz Bass Special, which is a P body, Jazz neck, made in Japan Mid 80's, no pickguard.
    I agree with the others who do not notice any "phase cancellation" at certain blend settings.
    It gets an authentic P sound but not quite the J sound. It does, however, have its own voice with both pickups on. I'm very fond of it and not innclined to part with it...
  19. I really love my american P!! For me it was simple,I went with a tried and true workhorse.Really I could see myself with a nice J bass too,but would I trade my P for it? Never!True the J may be more versitile but for me the P will forever be "THE" bass.
    If you already have a P go ahead and get a nice J.They feel great and sound even better!

Crawling Eye:the hotrodded P is a sweet machine,I tried to buy my buddy`s but he would`nt let it go.
    Get the maple body/neck if you get one! :D
  20. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Personally, I don't give a damn about versatility, but I still prefer the Jazz Bass. I like to stand out more and be a show off, rather than lurk in the nether regions of the mix and do your thing there.