advantages with 7 piece neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by paz, Aug 16, 2005.

1. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    well i was thinking of getting a custom made 5 string bass and was wondering if there is any advantage in getting a 7 piece neck, does this effect the playability or sustain or anything
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

It effects stability, especially with ERB type basses. Those laminates have their grains running in reverse directions, so when the wood expands or contracts, they pull against eachother and in doing so, the neck stays where it should with much less movement than a 1 piece neck.

If the bass has laminates of different kinds of wood, even better...because different woods expand and contract at different rates, once again making for better stability.
  3. A multi-piece neck has advantages -
    • Flatsawn stock can have the grain re-oriented vertically or into a "quartersawn" arrangement adding strength.
    • Every glue seam actually adds a bit of strength because the hard glue film resists flexing.
    • The builder can mix stiffer woods with softer woods for strength
    • Canted headstocks can be made easily without wasting so much stock if you use composite neck construction
    • Less than premium woods can be made into necks that will work great
  4. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    As far as I've understood it, there are (or can be) tonal implications.

Different pieces of wood will have different resonant tones, or tap tones. This tap tone will become a dead spot on your neck. And thus if you choose several pieces of wood with different tap tones, the dead spot will be less pronounced.

(this I've read in "The Quest for Tone" by Michael Tobias)

And that is what I've experienced myself as well, in some degree:
    My old Acacia fretless had a 9-piece neck, and dead spots were not much of a problem; especially compared to the three other fretless 4-stringers I've tried, all with one-piece bolt-on necks. Very limited experience, I know, but it supports the theory.
  5. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    cool thanks for the replies what about this for a 7 piece neck

and on a side note the body is gonna be bubinga sandwhich over mahogony and a ebony macassar fretboard
  6. relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    My Alembic has a 7 piece maple/purpleheart neck. The sustain is awesome, but I swear every time the weather changes that neck needs major adjustment. Sometimes weekly.
  7. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I'll bet it has an ebony fingerboard. Unlike most other woods, when moisture levels change ebony swells along the length of the grain and not so much the width. This can make even the stiffest neck sway with the seasons.