1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Adventures in GAS: Retired from music, got too many basses, and yet...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimmyM, Feb 25, 2021.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    ...I've been considering it.

It's mainly about amusing myself as I have no real need for it and I have 9 basses. But I don't have a short scale Fender. I was planning on getting a JMJ Mustang in black after setting up my friend Jeff's American Performer Mustang to play like a dream:

19 AmPerMustang V2.JPG

Then a couple months ago, I played a Squier CV Mustang that was cheap and felt great in the hands, and it made me think about getting a CV Mustang with Geezers. But I've already got 3 PJ's and a P with Geezers, I can still handle long scale just fine, and they only come in seafoam green or white, and as everyone knows, my bass philosophy is if it's not black, it must go back (please ignore the other non-black basses on my stands...they were grandfathered in).

Despite all that, I'm still feeling a Mustang. So the question is do I succumb to the GAS and go with my original plan for the JMJ, or be happy and grateful for what I have, knowing that the likelihood of me doing any gigs in the NF are totally out of the question? That JMJ is a sexy beast and has a really cool sound. A bit more than I want to spend on a Mustang, but gosh darn it, it comes in black now and has two pickguards, one white, one black. And it's amazing how sexy I look with a Mustang.

And then I picked up my trusty #1 Hammersmith PJ, which weighs all of 7 3/8 lbs, has Geezers and a Hipshot Xtender with two stops, and is set up all perfect for my needs, plus it's black with a maple neck:

Hammersmith Fender bridge 1.JPG

And I think to myself, "Self, you've got it all already. Plus your stands have no more room and you're already pushing the envelope having 5 basses on a 3-bass stand."

So as much as I'd love to pose for sexy pics holding a JMJ Mustang, and as much as I like and respect Justin, I realize there are more important things to spend my money on at this time. And really, when you've got it all already, what's the point?

So instead I'll bank it, be thankful for what I already have, and ignore those occasional Stang pangs.

And that, my friends, is how you conquer GAS.

For now :D

2. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Funny thing. I have GAS for a black JMJ. But I have 3 amazing basses, and I don't gig! (I will again one day though)

GAS is just GAS.

As Eckhart Tolle says; 'There are two sure paths to discontentment; to not get the object you want, or to get the object you want'

(Paraphrasing heavily)

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Eckhart Tolle hit all nail and no thumb with that one. Brilliant!

JettBlaq, bmac314, TN WOODMAN and 4 others like this.
  4. WillyWonka

WillyWonka I "heart" pointy headstocks Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I have the blue JMJ, what ya got to trade?

JettBlaq and JimmyM like this.
  5. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    Jimmy i feel your pain...

at one point i was up to 35 basses....and i played three of them on the regular....it was painful to let some of them go...but I'm down to 8 currently...i went the whole of last year without buying anything and was quite proud of myself....but every year around my birthday...i look...and i'm currently eyeballing something in the semi-hollow spectrum...it's a constant struggle...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    All that stuff about black being my jam got past you, eh?

:D

7. WillyWonka

WillyWonka I "heart" pointy headstocks Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    sig line....

images.jpg

dusterdan70, Geddaric, design and 8 others like this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    OK, so where in the thread title does it say Mustang?

HA! Hoisted by your own petard!

9. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    Every time I see those little "P" pickups on a Mustang, I think they look like a happy pair of musical gumdrops. Mustangs look yummy to me :woot:

No shame in wanting to scratch that itch. Some of the magic seems to come with that whole process of getting to know one rig or another.

G.A.S... no predicting it, no reasoning with it. I picked up a terrific bass a couple months ago and it only poured more lighter fluid onto my soul. Just grabbed another one on Monday. Now my funk is delivered compliments of Tobias/Gibson - Nashville era as best I can tell, a Growler and a Renegade.

G.A.S. extinguished for now and I'm in heaven!!

George Dennis and JimmyM like this.
  10. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Bah. You need a Thunderbird. It might be a short scale Thunderbird, but you need one. You may have sublimated that need, but it's there, just waiting for liberation. Don't fight it, come to the dark side, JimmyM, come to the dark side.

11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    You tease. We all know that if someone posts the "should I buy the bass" on TB, they've already ordered it.

secretsound5, design, Border and 11 others like this.
  12. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Fender Japan JB62M - 32" scale. Long out of production, and this is the only one I’ve ever seen with a maple fretboard. And I've looked! Cost ya, though. I gig with it (well...I did until last March), you can see me playing it in my avatar. :D

13. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    I thought about buying a Mustang, but it did indeed feel like a toy when compared to my Gibson SG, and my GAS ended in about ten seconds. Sounded great, though, and I would like a Mustang or a Bass VI in my realm one day.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    obimark and JimmyM like this.
  14. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    I need another bass like I need another hole in my head, and have absolutely no need for a shortie. And yet… like you I find those mustangs alluring. Originally I wanted one in walnut with maple to match my P, but those are rare. I almost pulled the trigger on a squier cv when they could be had for $350, but like you, I'm not thrilled by the color choices. Every now and then I look, and the JMJs are contenders to light my GAS for sure.

JimmyM likes this.
  15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:thumbsup: had me goin' with all of that! :laugh: hat is off for both the fun OP and the exercise in restraint!

bingo! :thumbsup:

foolforthecity and JimmyM like this.
  16. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Seems pretty cut and dry to me...either get the bass and look sexy or get to the gym and become keto man to get sexy. Either way...focus on the true end goal...sexiness.

17. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Eckhart Tolle got it right. But he was not the first to get it right!

From Quote Investigator .com

There Are Only Two Tragedies. One Is Not Getting What One Wants, and the Other Is Getting It

Oscar Wilde? George Bernard Shaw? Oliver Onions? Anonymous?

skycastle08.jpg Quote Investigator: The psychology of human desire is paradoxical. The failure to achieve a goal can lead to unhappiness and ever despair. Yet, attaining an objective can produce an aftermath of uncertainty and lassitude. The following adage is humorous and poignant:

There are two tragedies in life—not getting what you want, and getting it.

This notion has been credited to the famous wit Oscar Wilde and the prominent playwright George Bernard Shaw. Did either of these Irishmen really employ this saying? Would you please explore this topic?

Quote Investigator: Both Wilde and Shaw used versions of this adage, but Wilde deserves credit for coinage. Oddly, the version in Shaw’s 1903 play “Man and Superman” changed over time as shown in the citations given further below.

The earliest close match known to QI appeared in the 1892 play “Lady Windermere’s Fan: A Play About a Good Woman” by Oscar Wilde. The minor character Mr. Dumby asked the character Lord Darlington whether the love he felt for Lady Windermere had ever been reciprocated. Emphasis added to excerpts by QI: 1

DUMBY
    She doesn’t really love you then?

LORD DARLINGTON
    No, she does not!

DUMBY
    I congratulate you, my dear fellow. In this world there are only two tragedies. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it. The last is much the worst, the last is a real tragedy! . . .

obimark, Bunk McNulty, JRA and 4 others like this.
  18. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Jimmy, another variant is: "There are two kinds of personal suffering, that of denying one's nature, and that of indulging it."
    Since both paths end the same way, I read this koan as a directive to buy that new bass :thumbsup:

19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Good man Jim! :thumbsup:

Being in heat is always aggravating.

I’ve discovered if I can make myself wait between 12 and 48 hours before pulling the trigger on something, the urge passes. :laugh:

JRA, foolforthecity, sonojono and 4 others like this.
  20. Plain Old Barry

Plain Old Barry Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Connecticut
    Of course! :roflmao:

JimmyM likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021