Advertising for a Drummer

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, May 5, 2003.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    My band has been advertising for a drummer for about a month now and still no one has even contacted us about auditioning or even with questions. Me, the two guitarists, and the roadie are really flustered. What are we doing wrong? Do we just need to be more patient? I know I have made at least 10 online classifieds for one, probably the most viewed is the one below.

Ad at the Washington Music Center Website

Thanks, a little explanation would be nice from anyone who has one.
  2. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    So, you want someone who's a 'good drummer' (fair enough) who has a good drumset, somewhere to rehearse (presumably that's what you mean by 'space to jam') and will chip in money for a PA. The drummer will be joining two guitarists and a bassist (do one or more of you sing?) who mention their influences but don't give any indication of whether it's originals or covers, nor of how much experience they have and whether gigs are lined up or if this is a 'starting from scratch' thing.

Try and read only what you've written there and imagine whether you would respond. Assume there are other adverts that expect less (just good drummer... no hint of having to pay for the PA and provide rehearsal space) and offer more (established band, several paying gigs lined up) and think where yours would fit in an attractiveness rating.

I'd suggest reconsidering the wording. Also, if you can get a simple web page set up, that will allow you to say much more than you can in a short advert for those who want to find out more.

Finally, since I'm being a tad harsh ( ;) ), a month isn't that long. When I was looking for a band last year (with 15 years of bass playing experience under my belt), it took about three months of searching before I landed my current gig... hang on a bit longer before you start thinking you've failed entirely.

Good luck,

3. I just aborted a drummer search...quite a number of those drummers either didn't have a computer or didn't know how to operate a computer. No lie! :D

I think you need to advertise more - local papers, music store bulletin boards, maybe high school music departments?
  4. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Young Drummer Needed for DC Area Band
    The band Spliff is in search of a good drummer with a good drumset and lives in DC or Southern Maryland. Currently, the band is made up of two guitarists and a bassist (me). Also, we are looking for a drummer who has space to jam and money to throw in for a PA system would be nice. We are looking for a drummer between the ages of 13-17. Our musical influences are Primus, RHCP, Nirvana, Rush, and more. Feel free to contact me with any questions or if you want to audition

Get rid of the part where you want them to have a rehersal space, and money to throw in for a p/a. Thats alot to ask of someone who might not work out, or just recently joined the band.

Id make it read something like this:

Three piece band (Spliff) seeking drummer with good equipment. Prefer them to live in DC or Southern Maryland. Would prefer a drummer between the ages of 13-17. Our musical influences are Primus, RHCP, Nirvana, Rush, and more. Please free to contact me to arrange an audition.