1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advertising / Promoting mistakes

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by timber22, Mar 13, 2010.

1. My band is playing a big outdoor charity run / walk event. Our drummer made the arrangements. So I'm watching TV last night and a commercial comes on promoting the event. I didn't even know there was TV advertising for this so I perk up a little and pay attention. My band's name is Secret Treaty. The ad ends with a big voice and flashy graphic on the screen...."and live music from Secret Tree !!!". I think I spit out my beer on the floor. Even though it's not exactly funny, I couldn't help laughing like hell. I call the drummer and he says, "Oh, I guess I'll have to get them to fix that".

Any other stories like that?

2. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Oh, yeah. My current band is called The Conniptions and we have had many variations, misspellings, and completely wrong names. We were playing for a very large outdoor festival in our area that we are the headlining act for one of the nights every year and everybody knows who we are. A few years ago, they had an elderly man who started the festival many years ago who still insisted on making all the stage announcements including introducing the bands. We told him the name of the band several times and even gave him a business card so he would not mess it up. He gets up in front of thousands of people and says, "Now, our next band Top Connection". Not only did we bust up laughing trying to play our first song, but that has been a running joke with our band ever since. We tell people if they like us, we are The Conniptions; if they don't like us, we are Top Connection

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    My first band was playing the Whisky in Hollywood. It was our, maybe, 4th show ever. We were called Palin (after Monty Python actor Michael, not Gov. ex-vice presidential candidate Sarah). Long A sound, Pay-Lynn not Pal-in.

4. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    My bands name is Marshal Law. Last week end the roadside billboard for the venue we were playing said... Tonight Only - Live Music. Like they couldn't remember the name of the band? It's right there on the 2ft. by 3ft. poster hanging on the front door to the place...lol.
    Then again maybe they ran out of A's & L's...lol.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020