Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

advice about switching teachers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by kawaeegirl, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Does anyone have advice about switching teachers? Its a real sticky situation...
    How do you tell your old teacher that your going to change to someone else?! I still like my old teacher but I just dont feel that he challenges me enough.
    Would it be weird to take lessons from both teachers?

Thanks!

2. Have you discussed it with your teacher? He may have reasons for not "challenging" you such as he doesn't feel you have mastered the current material.

On the other hand, he may not realize that you want to be pushed. Most folks are probably content to be gently glided along a leisurely path, and he may be accustomed to that approach.

3. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    kawaeegirl, I noticed that you are also in Seattle. I've done this and although I don't think there is a perfect way, I am happy to share my perspective with you.

If you want to PM me and tell me who you teacher is and who you're thinking of switching to, I could probably give you better perspective. A lot of it depends on them.

Troy