1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice about this bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shakin-Slim, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Hey, guys.

My mates dad is possibly selling his gear, and this is a parts bass he put together:
    I'm not sure if the picture will work. If not, let me know.

Basically, I'm wondering whether the placement of those pickups would lead to a godawful sound, or do you think it could be alright? I've never seen a P or J pickup so far forward. He probably wouldn't be selling it for too much, but I wouldn't want something that doesn't sound too great.

I'm not too big on that lower horn, but I'm not overly bothered if it sounds good and doesn't cost too much. Could be fun.

Unfortunately I can't try it out for at least a couple of months cause he's back in my hometown, and I'm not.

Cheers.

Attached Files:

2. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    bump

3. jlh60

jlh60

Aug 21, 2009
    Warren ,Mi
    Only one way to find out if it sounds good.
    Play it !!!

4. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Anybody have any experience with a P pickup so far forward?

5. Looks to me like the P-pickup is centered right about where a Rick's neck pickup should be (24th fret) and the bridge pickup doesn't look too far off, either.

Might have been some smart design work behind this one, looking for Rick tones from cheaper Fender-style bolt-it-up parts.

Definitely worth a listen if you like Rick tones, but be prepared for neck-dive with the Tele body shape's strap button being so far away from the 12th fret, unless the body is thick and heavy.