Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice about writing lyrics...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hategear, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Anyone have any tricks on how to write your own lyrics, without having them match the bass, drums or guitars? A good example of what I don't want, is "Happy Birthday." Most of my original songs are kind of "choppy" and I am afraid that the words are gonna shadow the music too much.

Do ya'll understand what I'm asking, or do I sound like a total ass-boob?

2. Hey,
    First off, change your name to "Poet-Pedal" ;) (I couldn't help it bro').

Here's some tips I've picked up:
    Read a variety of different works, Greek Mythology, James Joyce, C.S. Lewis, and some really obscure folk tales/lore from around the world.

Watch the T.V. channels that broadcast in other languages.

Push your mind with some other activities. I once took a bellydancing class (I made myself quit after a month, I found myself standing next to the instructors helper and I wanting to uh, well...I thought it best to leave).

Listen to the sounds around you, I picked up a really cool syncopated polyrythm listening to a couple dozen chickens one day.

Sit out back in a lounge chair, gaze at the sky (or trees) and let your mind drift...and drift...and drift........

Be fearless.

~Andrew

3. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    Try writing the lyrics beforehand instead of trying to find a melody and rhythm for them while listening to the song. This might mean that you will find yourself concentrating on squeezing all the sylables in instead of following the melody exactly. Might work...
    If that fails, listen to lots of music with lyrics and try to see hop they fit in with the music both in terms of timing and tune.