Advice after tuning down a full step

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by formulaz, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Philly Watts

Philly Watts

May 6, 2016
    I use them on everything! They sound amazing in standard and NEVER go out of tune.

2. formulaz

formulaz Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Milwauke, WI
    While I certainly can do that, I would prefer to continue to use several of my favorite basses. If just changing strings to a heavier gauge (with corresponding set up changes) does the trick, this will achieve my objective

3. Anders Barfod

Anders Barfod

Jan 16, 2015
    For the pop rock music i play, straight up A4=440Hz never really jived with my heavy dark baritone voice.
    Lowering pitch to former european pitch 435Hz feels much better at the second passaggio though 432Hz is really special as i sound more like myself on high notes. And I need minimal early transition at the passaggios. I tried 430Hz but started to sound a little flat in the lower Chest register.

PS:
    I detuned 100s of tunes with audacity by -20 cents (~A4=435Hz) and greatly prefered this pitch than standard 440Hz. Voices just sounded better. -

4. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I wonder what's the drop from 440 to 432 in steps? Maybe about a half? Not sure...

5. aprod

aprod

Mar 11, 2008
    Just change the keys of the songs.

6. RickyWoo

RickyWoo

May 26, 2016
    Would just be a flatter A. Not a complete half step.

7. Anders Barfod

Anders Barfod

Jan 16, 2015
    Around -32 cents or 1/3 of a half step (100 cents). A4=432Hz is also called Verdi pitch. It is a more natural tuning for majority of human voices.

mikewalker and RickyWoo like this.
  8. caledoneus83

caledoneus83

Feb 26, 2018
    SC
    don't tune down, just play in a different position? or get a 5 string and then use that low B... that would be my suggestion. I hate tuning down.

9. RickyWoo

RickyWoo

May 26, 2016
    The key of A, when referenced to A4=440Hz, tuned a half step down is difference of 24.7Hz. So, yes, A4=432, being 8Hz less, works out to be about 1/3 of a half step.

10. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Inactive

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    Get yourself a Digitech Drop pedal and stay in standard tuning. That's what I do. More than anything, I realized that it's incredibly annoying to be in an audience and listen to the bungholes on stage tuning between every song.

mikewalker likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021