Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ADVICE: Aguilar DB750 vs. SVT II (non-pro)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wzrdofgz, Oct 7, 2005.

1. would like to get feedback/input on comparisons/preferences w/ Aguilar DB750 vs. SVT II (non-pro). Play mostly rock/alt. rock..have played on various ampeg's for backline gear & liked most of the all-tube stuff..have heard lots o-good about the aggie but nevery actually played one..seem to me to be pretty $$$ but maybe not..food for thought? thanks!!

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I owned an Aggie and consider it to be the ultimate rack back-line. It's powerful, punchy, and has gobs of headroom. It can get louder then you can fathom! It is heavy, don't believe the 47 lbs. in the spec sheet, but it is a LOT lighter and easier to handle then a real SVT (classic) and has more balls. It's quicker then an SVT and still plenty warm. I don't play as much rock anymore (more blues, R & B) And I decided to go lighter. But If I was younger or had roadies :D I'd run the Aggie

3. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    The SVT II is a great amp. Almost like the original with more EQ. The eq is what make this a decent amp. If you play gigs alot and have to have ONE amp, the 750 is the one. Lots of power, good eq and good sound. The only drawback maybe the limited eq in comparision to some other units. Personally, I don't like to spend time tweaking knobs. If you've got a decent instrument either will do.

Both of these amps work well in most musicial situations. Of the two, the aggie can also be very useful in quiet situations.

4. Never tried the aggie, but i love my SVT II, dont know what burk is getting at by saying its slower than the aggie, dont know how an amp can be slower ? (never gotten this "delay" or anything some people complain about with tube amps)
    Really like my SVT II, and 85-90lbs isnt that heavy, can get a ton of sounds out of it, only draw back is the lack of a pre gain control, so i often use a sansamp up from because i seldom need to run mine loud enough to get decent grit

Think you can get the SVTII for cheaper than the aggie aswell?

5. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    On many tube amps their is a phenomenon known as "tube sag". It can be beneficial in many ways, it makes your sound fatter and gives you a natural compression. The disadvantage is tubes do not move transients as fast as many solid state components do. You will especially notice this if you do a lot of slapping. Thunderfunk and EBS for instance are known as "fast" heads, the sound seems to literally jump out of the speakers quicker. The Aggie is kinda of in between it seems to have a warmth and fatness especially at lower volumes that would compete with any tube amp. And you can overdrive it by increasing the pre amp gain, but it seems to be faster then the Mesa 400 or the SVT. Obviously this depends on the speaker cabs too. For instance 4 X 10's are traditionally "faster" then 2 X 15's. The aggie is more expensive, but I wouldn't hesitate to by one used, they are very reliable. Theirs a couple in the classifieds right now.

6. Zharlon

Zharlon From Ice Station Zebra....to Deep Charch 9

Apr 19, 2003
    Northwest U.S.A.
    +1

Burke48237 hit it on the head.....I have a 750 and....(/insert vocal sound of "Joey" from Blossom) Whoa!
    I can qualify this at least due to my last amp being a mesa 400+, which I indeed liked a great deal......problem was that I could only get that juicy tubey goodness at HIGH volumes.....great for a rocking scenario, but many of my gigs are medium or even low volume...

The 750 sounds incredible loud but also at low volumes.....I been using it in a jazz trio I am in with guitar/bass/sax.....talk about low volume!...

Aye, Burke48237 knows what he's talking about, ....and he gave me a great deal on this amp I have been gassing for....

thanks Steve!

7. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Put it in feedback! If only I could a found a young'um to carry the thing arround!

8. Ah right, i get it now, cheers!