Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice and Opinion

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Rimas, Oct 18, 2003.

1. So im going to buy a new bass within the next wek (that is, new to me, or out of the factory brand new and shiny). Right now I'm pretty sure I have it narrowed down to two basses (but that could change). The one I have on trial right now is a pre WWII fully carved german. It sounds great, and is only 4,000. My other option is a brand new, shiny, bussetto, 7/8 with a 3/4 string length christopher. The question that I need input on is this...

The german bass has cracks in the body, two major cracks specifically, that are repaired, but not according to proper methods. They are glued solid, and have not had any trouble in the past four years. One of them is also starting to cave/indent, but it is minor, and wouldnt be a problem that I would need to approach before I upgrade to the next level of bass. The problem that I have is that I am planning on transfering to NYU next year, and I would not want to have to worry so much about these cracks opening up in the dry winters that NY has. The christopher is brand new, and still sounds good, but the developed sound of the older german is definitely tempting. Hammond Ashleys. where I am purchasing the bass from, offers a 100% trade in value, so If I choose the german, and get in to NYU next year, I would be able to trade it in for a different bass (one without potential problems). So would you rather get a bass that is dependable, and that you would have for a few years down the road now, or would you get the better sounding bass for 8-12 months and trade in for that dependable bass later.

I've been thinking about this for a while, and would like to hear your guy's opinons.

Also, im not sure what model the christopher is, but its fully carved, and is around 4,400. If any of you know estimated good deals/prices on different christopher models that are fully carved, i could probably use them to save some dough, depending on the model.

Thanks.

2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I'd buy the German. How can you go wrong with that trade-in guarantee? And you like the sound.

3. dvmweb

dvmweb

Apr 20, 2002
    Atlanta MI 49709
    There are some here who have Christophers. They'll give you good insight on this brand of URB.

In the string family, as I am sure you are aware, a well made instrument's sound usually improves with age. If you have been able to compare several URBs and think the older German one suits your ear, buy it. Especially if you can trade it back in later. The cracks can be repaired by a good luthier.

I play bue grass, gospel,C&W, some jazz on an Englehardt EM-1 plywood I bought new from Bob G. If I had it to do again, I would look harder for an older carved bass. I've played a few and they definitely sound nice. The plywood EM-1 however suits my needs better. I play outside alot. Wettish weather, cool weather, etc.

Older is better here.

Walt MI/US

4. Yeah, The more I think about it the more think ill keep it.

about the cracks though. They are only glued, with some unknown, but strong glue. They said that if the cracks opened up, and they could scrape the glue off the repair would only be a few hundred, where if they arent able to scrape them off, it would be thousands... thats why i wouldnt want to risk taking it to NY with me.

Edit: found the label inside the bass.. wasnt easily visible. Its Musima, which was made in the German Demokratic Republic, which would date it sometime between 1949 and 1900. They said it was pre world war II, so i imagine its closer to 1949, but not pre WWII. It had the initials VEB on the label, which I looked up and it means that the company was controlled/funded? by the government. Apparently they are still a company, and have a website, but it was down when i checked. Anyone have any info on these basses?

5. this thread can be closed now...:D
    After comparing the sound of similar priced bass's and a few more expensive ones, I decided that it was sold. Picked up a bow made by leomar too. Im excited.