1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice Appreciated for $1,500 USD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blah114, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    I need an amp and head.

I have $1500 to spend.. and that is a LOT of money.

Assuming I buy new.

Should I go for a Markbass head and Ampeg 4x10?

Are there combos that can serve my needs of playing 500 or less person clubs.. we have a mixing board.. and PA.. so I can go DI.

A combo appeals to me.

I have an Ampeg SVT that is dying.. it's about 30 years old now.. I love its solid state sound, but it is time to move on. It's a combo amp and it's getting tossed. It's time for a change.

Advice appreciated. I like Line 6, but it sounds sterile. I like Markbass, but it seems no live players I see are using it, except for a guy from Ultraviolets in STL and his sound is good.. but I think he has a $3,000 rig.

So $1500.. I like the portability of Markbass, but want an Ampeg sound.. I am thinking of Ampeg 4x10.. and Markbass Little Mark head.. I think I can get both for $1500, especially if I go used on the cabinet (which I do not want to do).

Ashdown?
    Eden?
    Ampeg?

What are typical club guys playing through? Combos? separate heads? I welcome thoughts and realize this could be a duplicated thread.. but I wanted to talk about my spending limit.

2. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    A lot of us are using a seperate preamp and power amp in a rack case and then whichever cabinet(s) are appropriate for the size of the venue. The advantages are you can get the sound you want AND the power you need and you can have greater versatility with your speaker cabinets. For most clubs I just bring a 2x10 or a Schroeder 2x12. For larger venues (and outdoors) I unbridge my power amp and drive the 2x12 and a 1x15 to move more air. I also can play with just the 2x10, 2x10 plus 2x12, 2x10 plus 1x15, just the 1x15, etc.

The disadvantage? It's not a combo: more pieces to carry.

3. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Blah you cant go wrong with a 410HLF, well if you power it with an SVT-VR or CL tube amp life is good, get your amp fixed... I run an SVT-4PRO to each of my cabs here and you would get into a 410HLF used from 499-650 and a 4 PRO from 700 used -1300 or so new. BOB

4. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I think you have plenty of money for a good amp and one or two quality cabs there. So, the main question is, what kind of tone are you after? Because that should really be the deciding factor as you have plenty of options in your price range. My favorites are Genz-Benz and Aguilar's AG500. But, you might have very different goals from me in tone. I tend to seek slightly warmer versions of the typical GK sound. But, if you are an Ampeg person, you would probably dislike both of those heads.

The other consideration is adequate power. I wouldn't play a gig without a minimum of 350-450 watts (assuming at least 1 guitarist and a drummer). With that, I am able to play small clubs, sometimes w/o PA support. What are you after tone-wise?

5. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    Thank you. I am playing in rock bands.. We do Rush, Prince, Police, U2, Maroon 5, AC DC, Doors, Cure, Duran Duran, Johnny Cash.. but it all has a "rock" feel to it. I can slap, but generally do not do this live. As a bass player, I try NOT to play fills, high runs (unless they are in the song to begin with).

The bottom line, no pun intended, is a combo appeals to me most.. and I have always loved and trusted Ampeg.. I do not intend on getting the Ampeg fixed.. it just gets overdriven too easily.. I want the Ampeg sound if possible. Line 6 is an option, but it does not have the tradition.. The type of tone I am after is a warm , fat, flat tone. I play a Modulus typically, FB4, and keep the treble down a bit. I can get a Paul McCartney sound or a Geddy Lee sound out of this bass via Ampeg. PEople tell me I have Geddy Lee's tone even when I play Prince's songs.. the "old" Geddy Lee tones, like from Hold Your Fire, Moving Pictures--whether Wal, Fender, Rickenbacker. My sound is "thick" and boomy.. my highs are heard as if I am playing flatwounds.. but I use roundwound strings. I up my mids to be heard live and decrease the highs.. I cannot stand bright-sounding bass(!). This sort of makes me wonder if I should shoot for a 2x12 cabinet, or a even a 15+horn.

I do not want the hassle of separate power amp.. I would like at the very least to keep the head and power in the same chassis.. Maybe I should even look at Bergantino.. but I LIKE the coloring of my sounds... I think Markbass is good.. but anyway, I actually like the sound of Ampeg.. can I get this from Markbass' Little Mark.. and if so.. I am wondering WHY I don't just go with Ampeg.

6. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    These are due out pretty soon...

[​IMG]

Doesn't look like you can use an extension cab, but it puts out 600 watts into the two 10s, weighs in at 50 lbs., has a vintage and modern channel and comes in at about $1100. Don't know how soon you need one, but this seems like it would fit your needs pretty well.

7. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    looks good

8. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    ^ That looks like a great combo for you!

Another option would be to go for bigger speakers for a deeper, "thicker" tone. The Avatar 2x12 is around $300 US and sounds HUGE.

I think the GK 800RB is supposed to be great for deep, round tone? Might be worth looking at.

9. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    I just read the Ampeg BA600 is also available in a 15+horn.. this might very well be ideal for me. I am still torn between the head and separate cab.. more flexibility. I am also wondering if Ampeg is overrated nowadays.. but I happen to simply LOVE their sound.

10. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    thanks also for the GK advice.. they have always sounded too bright for me. I will check them out.

11. What a mess

What a mess

Aug 20, 2008
    Valdosta Ga.
    LMII is awesome so far I have tried it with several different cabs Begantino is my Fav. PERIOD I know different strokes for different folks but he is closing out the 1-12 ex for $399.00
    x 2 = $800.00 + LMII $585.00 Money left for cables and covers. I do have the HT which has a horn for my top box. You could take them in the front seat of a Fiat and would be able to play most venues with ease anything bigger and you are most likley going to plug into the PA anyway.

I do have a Hartke 2155 combo for sale 15" + 5" horn and a 3500 head never been a fan of Hartke this is a freaken amazing combo. I have owned SWR Red Head Eden metro combo and a Trace 2-10 + horn combo this kicks massive butt and is in an real anvil road case. With a 1-15 or 2-10 8 ohm ext. cab it is plenty, enough for about anything. Let me know if you are interested. Will deal fo sho.

12. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Might want to try a Tech 21 bass VT into power amp. That would get you very, very close to your SVT sound.