ADVICE: Ashdown ABM 500, Aguilar 500, Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wzrdofgz, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Selling off rack gear for single all-in-one head. Got a chance to pick up a barely used ABM 500 seriesI head for approx $525 w/ a partial trade. Can't decide if I should just wait for a EVO II used, which I've rarely seen, or anty-up & pay $899 new. From what I've read from other TBrs there's not that much difference in the 2. Would like some feedback ASAP. Also would like opinions feedback on the Aggie gear & the SVT or SVTII..It's going to be driving either an A/groove Tri 210 or a Berg 322!! Thanks!
  2. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Looks like I get to be your first response; however, I'm not sure if I'm going to adequately answer your question... but here goes anyway...

I purchased an ABM500-RC EVO-II, ear unheard, online from (BTW... they are a GREAT online music stuff dealer... check them out!). I never heard of Ashdown before. Other than my amp, I've yet to see any of their stuff out here in the islands, either, but that doesn't mean there isn't some other bassist playing through an Ashdown rig here in paradise... just haven't seen 'em... There ain't no Ashdown dealer out here, and I find that to be a music store's loss... :rollno:

My Evo-II is a great amp... that's all there is to it! So, having said that, while I'm not familiar with the "original" Evo you have a chance on obtaining, I would think that the $525 price sounds reasonable... especially if it is, indeed, "slightly used" as you suggest. Question: is there any chance you can negotiate a lower price? Just a thought...

BTW... I paid $999 for my Evo-II, and I've seen that now has them priced at the $899 you listed. :crying:

Funny you mention the Aguilar 500... I almost went for the AG500SC! I tried it out, and was very impressed. I would've gone for it, but the price for the Evo-II was some three hundred bucks cheaper, and it has some more whistles and bells than the Aggie. However, having said that, I've come full circle... as they say... 'cuz I recently dropped some very heavy bucks on an Aguilar DB750, and believe me... this is probably the most amazing, simple yet powerful, bass amplifier out there... truly a work of art... and I'm not the only one here on TB, or anywhere else, that has this impression... :D

I've never owned any Ampeg stuff, but I've played through a few... Classic 300 watt, all-tubers come to mind. Ampegs are great products... kinda like Ford automobiles... reliable, rugged, affordably priced... I fully respect the Ampeg line. What the hell... they've been around almost as long as Ford, anyway!

So... enough of my pontificating! I would simply suggest this: if you can hold off and save-up for new, get a new Evo-II. Trust me, as well as other TB Ashdown lovers, you should be very happy. However, and I have to remind you that I don't know anything about the "original" Evo, if bucks remain a problem, or you just cannot wait, then $525 is a reasonable price... unless you can get it down some more... then you should be praised for your negotiating skill... :D

Good luck, my friend... :bassist:
  3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Click on edit at the bottom right of one of your posts and you can delete it.
  4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I agree with our island friend here, can't go wrong with Ashdown. It's the amp I have and I couldn't be happier (with Berg cabs by the way).

The Aguilar DB750 is also one of my absolute favorite amps. However, you're talking about the solid state Aguilar and I'd steer you towards the Ashdown in this case. It's much more versitile.

The Ashdown can cop a very convincing Ampeg sound with the grind knob turned up about 1/3 of the way (on the EVOII).

I also agree that if you're able to save up for a newer EVOII than I'd suggest that. To me the slight changes to the amp made a difference. I did own the older version and it certainly was a great amp though, so if money is an issue than you won't be disapointed by any means.
  5. Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    im so pi@#ed!! i bought my abm500 last year and paid 1299.99 for it. i had no idea they went down in price that much. its a great head BTW.
  6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Doh! I hear ya. I bought my first Ashdown for that. I will say that I was very glad to see they'd come down when it was time for me to get a new amp.
  7. IMO the SVT II beats the hell out of modern ampeg's, and it can usually be had for fairly cheap in comparison to some all tube amps, definatly nice, its hard to overdrive the pre section as there is no pre-gain, thats the only thing i think it is lacking, but it sounds alot better than the 2-Pro and CL
  8. I am saving up for a new amp and the AG 500, ABM 500 EVO II and Eden WT 550 are at the top of my list. I live in a small community 300 miles between Salt Lake and Denver, so the fact that I have a great local dealer who carries Ashdown and Aguilar tips the scale in their direction. I think the choice will be made on the basis of price because I love playing through both amps. The speakers I get to use are GS410 and GS210, so I haven't had a chance to try the Ashdown with Bergs. But I have borrowed both amps with the Aggie speakers for gigs and love them both. I would be very happy with either amp and either would be a step up from my Ashdown Mag combo.
  9. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Thanks, emjazz! Sometimes I feel like such a dolt!!! :bag: