Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice badly needed from Aguilar GS112 users...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Greywoulf, Mar 31, 2004.

1. I bought an Aguilar 112 from someone on this forum. It was claimed to be in perfect playing condition. However when I turn the tweeter control in the back, the sound stays exactly the same, no change what-so-ever! Also, when I turn up the treble way up on my bass and on my head (a low-powered 120W Hartke amp), I get static and crackling from the cab...????

It sounds to me like this thing has got a blown tweeter. What do you other users of GS112 get when you turn the treeter control in the back? Does it change the sound of the cab so you can really notice it, or is this just some kind of quirk of Aguilar cabs? I'd like some info on this in case I have to get after the seller to take it back.........

Thanks,
    Greywoulf

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    If possible, you could run something through your rig that would let you test that cabinet such as an electric guitar or a CD player. Either of these put out a lot more highs than your bass.

3. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I used to have a GS-112. The L-pad for the tweeter was definitely functional. I had to keep it all but turned off to suit my taste. Sounds like a blown tweeter to me. Maybe your seller would replace the tweeter, instead of sending the cab back. Aguilar should help you get a new tweeter.

4. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    This definitely sounds like something is wrong!! Check your
    e-mail. Also you have personal msg.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I get the same thing if the tweeter's maxed, and mine was new when I got it. I just keep it backed off. Pretty useless. If you get crackling out of the speaker instead of out of that tweeter I'd say, yeh, you got a problem. I got the same looking tweeter in a small combo amp and it's even worse. But the amp's got a switch to get rid of it so no problem.

6. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Before you panic I'd remove the grill and the tweeter and check the wire connections on the tweeter. I bought a used SWR before that exhibited the same problem. Turned out that during shipping the slide terminal backed off of the connection of the tweeter. In my case it was partially due to SWR using a tweeter with a 1/8" male terminal and the wiring harness had a 1/4" female slide terminal. I cut off the 1/4" female slide terminal and soldered the wire to the tweeter terminal. No more problems.

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If after you check to make sure the wiring has not become unplugged due to shipping bumps, DO NOT replace the entire tweeter, just replace the diaphragm - its much cheaper. Aguilar sells the diaphrams via its web site. I replaced one recently in one of my Aguilar cabs, and it took all of 5 minutes and a simple phillips screwdriver. A monkey could do it. Save yourself $50 and do it this way, if it must be done.

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    That's some useful info. Did it make any difference? And was wondering what the diaphragm cost, or conversely, what the tweeter cost.

==============

"Monkeys can do lot's of things some people can't." (BoBo)

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Replacing the diaphragm totally fixed the problem - those tweeters are essentially just a magnet with a plastic housing. The replacement diaphragm contains the electronics board as well, so the replacement diaphragm will solve all problems except for actual physical damage to the tweeter housing itself, such as cracking from physical impact.

If I remember correctly, the Aguilar webstore listed the diaphragm at around $39, and the entire tweeter at around $80-90. Plus shipping, of course - the replacement diaphragm weighs next to nothing, and the entire tweeter with magnet weighs a few pounds.

10. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I'll agree with all the other aggie owners who have responded. Sounds like a problem with the tweeter (or maybe the adjustment knob??) The tweeter on the gs112 is VERY sensitive. There is a very noticeable difference between "off" and slightly "on" and that difference increases very fast as you turn up the tweeter.