1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Advice: BE S-15D vs. GK 112-II Neo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dubstylee, Sep 21, 2010.

1. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Thats right. Theres a small switch on the back.

2. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    Well guys, I need a kick in the but! Maybe someone can push me in one direction or the other here. It's come down to the Bag End S-15D or the GK 115-III Neo, which shall it be? I need portability here too. Thanks!

3. Ken has done a great job of describing the attributes of the Bag End S15 cabs. As a previous S15 owner, I won't add to his description, as I agree completely. I especially agree with what he said about how they work well in a live band context. They really do, especially the S15X-D/S15-D stack. The sound at home (the "bedroom sound") is still very nice, but if you A/B'ed a S15-D against the G-K Neo 15 you would probably think the G-K sounded better in that setting.

The S15 cubes pack great into most compact cars- you can get two of them into slightly more space than a lot of 1x12 cabs require. They weigh more than many single-driver neo cabinets, but they are very easy to transport. Also, I don't have experience with the G-K neo 15 cabinets, but I have a hard time imagining that the G-K cabs could be built more solidly than the Bag cubes. Part of the weight factor is the wood the factory uses- it's thick, Being a cube, it's probably more structurally indestructible than a rectangular form factory. There are a number of stories out there about S15s surviving rolls and bounces down long non-padded stairways, and drops out of trucks driving at highway speed. So those are a couple more factors to think about.

4. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I have yet to put my GK 115 thru the paces in a loud band setting. However, it definitiely sounds much nicer in the basement than my Aguilar GS112. It is a full 1 cab solution with good mids and handles the B string well. And has noticably more sensitivity than the GS112. I like having an adjustable tweeter which is one of the main difference between the GK and Bag End. With the Bag End, you either have one full up or you have none (no adjustment). I find on the GK that running the tweeter with it a little rolled off gets me the top end I am looking for. If price matters, I believe the GK is cheaper, and I believe it is also lighter.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Bag End = low mid punch, with warmth; not too deep & not too bright; great midrange focus

GK = deeper lows; brighter highs; more balanced from top to bottom; a bit "wider" tone with less midrange focus

And it's worth stating again that all bets may be off when you try driving them with your V-4B. IME, tube heads put different demands on drivers than solid state, and this makes it all the more important to try all cab choices (to the extent possible) with your head before committing.

6. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    Thanks everyone, the only problem is that I cannot try a BAG END S-15D around my area as no one stocks them. I can probably try the GK 115-III Neo @ Guitar Center though.

I've read so many positive things about the S-15D that I feel like I would miss out if I went with the GK. However, it seems like the GK would be great as well. It's a toss-up, but I really need a 115 cab so I can carry a lighter load to rehearsals. I only have a sealed 4x12 cab right now, it's way too much for rehearsals sometimes.

7. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    I'd be driving the cab with a V4, LMIII, or a VB-2.

8. MrBEAR

MrBEAR In Memoriam

Ampeg V4BH with Bag End S-15B and S-12B cabinets.

AmpegBagEndRig.jpg

That rig is long gone but it did extremely well in small to medium bars without FOH support.

I was never able to turn it up far enough to get any growl or grit though. Too many hands waving, eyes open wide in horror because they could hear all of the bass tone being reproduced, and gui****s screaming turn down, they can't hear me!

Can't help on the other two heads but the Ampeg V4 and a pair of BE S-15's will thump your chest.

Cheers,

Mr. BEAR

9. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    Wow! Another good Bag End recommendation. Geez, might just have to go with the BE.

10. I have the GK NEO 1x12 II running it with my Mesa Walkabout, and a Lakland 5501, I boost the bass a touch on the Lakland, the Mesa is flat with the mids backed off a touch, the tweeter is just a few notches up from off. Like the cab, and I pair it with the a 4x10 SWR NEO when I need more speaker.

11. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Dude, you're just gonna drive yourself batty if you keeping ping-ponging back and forth like this, 'cause there are ample reasons to like both cabs...

IMHO, the GK is the better choice for you: deeper lows, better balance - and LIGHT! Mostly likely less expensive as well.

To me, it's a no-brainer. Get the GK... :meh:

MM

12. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    It seems to me you have two needs and neither of these choices fits your needs *perfectly*.

Need one: Super portable
    Need two: deep low-end for reggae

Choice one: Bag End s15d - great size for portability, not enough lows for reggae
    Choice two: Gk 115 - On the large side (those big square cubes are awkward to move), good enough lows for reggae.

If you have a large vehicle I'd get the GK. If portability is your primary concern and you have a small car, go for the Bag End s15d.

Another option you might consider is an LDS 115 designed around the Eminence Kappa 3015. (not LF). That can is certainly on the portable side, but will give you good lows. The one downside is you can expect to wait a number of months before it cab be built for you.

One more option is the Carvin LS1502 which is a 44LB 115 cab. Super cheap at $229.
    http://www.carvinguitars.com/ls/

13. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    Thanks for the input guys, I'll let you know what happens.

14. MikeyB

MikeyB

Aug 16, 2006
    Sykesville, MD
    Keep us posted! Especially if you go with the Bags.

I'm not seeking the same tone you're looking for, but I'm really curious about those Hobbit-built cubes!

15. RockDoc

RockDoc

Jan 5, 2007
    Zombie-thread resurrection time! My question (posted elsewhere as well) is similar to that posed by the OP, but in this case, the comparison is between the Bag End S15-D and the GK NEO 212 II. If anyone has experience with both these cabs (or pairs of these cabs), please share your opinions and insights! Thanks!

16. spcmstrbtasp

spcmstrbtasp

Oct 19, 2006
    Athens, GA
    After reading this and the other threads on Bag Ends vs other options, I wanted to share my experience as a Bag End user of more than 10 years-

While the S15's won't show the same frequency response on a scope as some other cabs, I've never felt like they were missing lows in a band setting for any style.

Once at a small club with moderate PA support, I was told to attenuate the lows in my rig by the sound engineer because he was getting too much 80hz from the stage. I told him that was because I was boosting 80hz precisely in an attempt to achieve an 808 boom like tone- through a single BE s15. I know 80 is not 30, but it was too much for him.

Also, in another situation, I was running 2 S15s powered by an Eden 800 I think, (it was not mine), in a moderate sized 200 person club. After our set the engineer said- " I had you totally out of the PA- that rig is amazing." I had to take him at his word...

I like my Bag Ends...though I do wish they were lighter.

-

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021