Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice -- Cirrus for Thumb Trade

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Feb 16, 2005.

1. A guy has offered to trade his 97 Thumb bolt-on 4 (recessed strap locks and all wenge neck) for my Cirrus 4 redwood top. I haven't played a Thumb, but I have decided that I am definitely a bolt-on guy. I have other basses , and neither of these would be my main bass (unless I really love the Thumb).

Any advice would be great!

2. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I wouldn't even think of trading before I had a chance to play it first. Thumbs have some serious neck dive issues, and that neck is going to feel like a baseball bat compared to your Cirrus... Better make sure that's a feel you're comfortable with.

- Ugly.

3. Thanks for the advice. A friend of mine is an endorsee for Warwick and I have played his before and always thought the neck was huge. I'll play his again and see if it bothers me. Thanks.

4. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Just out of curiosity... I know you already said your more of a "bolt-on" guy, but can you elaborate more on what turns you off about your Cirrus?

5. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Advice - don't do it. Redwwod Cirrus = HOT. Thumb = Ehh...

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :eyebrow:

Music is about sounds, tones... less about looks.

I can only say that go and try it, as Ugly already said.
    The necks of some older models are actually better than the current ones - thinner, more rounded. Also, being wenge, it adds more growl

7. There's really nothing that turns me off about my Cirrus. I'm not a big fan of the 35" scale. This isn't my main bass and I start getting GAS and start looking around. I love the sound and the look, I am just testing the water to see what comes around as a trade offer. This is the first offer I got.

8. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I totally agree...
    I love the sound of my Cirrus, but I am not fond of the tone I have gotten out of most of the Warwicks I have tried. And I love the neck profile of my Cirrus, but dislike the standard Warwick profile.
    Perhaps I have only played the newer necks.???

9. The pre-97 necks(in all likeliness including the tThumb up for trade) are very different from the ones made today. If you ask Silky Smoove about the Corvette he had he will attest that the neck was as thin as some of those Ibanez necks. I tried out an all wenge necked Thumb BO a while ago and the neck was extremly comfortable. I'd say your best bet is trying out the Thumb and see if it does something for you.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

When you play it, make sure and play it standing up, with a strap. For more than just 5 - 10 minutes. If you plan on ever playing out with the Thumb, this is a very necessary thing to do, because of the aforementioned neck dive issues.

11. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    Please forgive my intrusion, but I'm a little confused...I play a thumb 6 (fretted and fretless) and I've found the necks to be flat and very comfortable. My fretted is an '88 and the fretless is more recent. How come the fours feel like baseball bats compared to the sixes?

12. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I've never played a thumb 6'er, but I'd guess that since the fingerboard is much wider than the four, neck thickness wouldn't be perceived as much of an issue perhaps?

13. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yep. My Corvette 6 has a wide neck, so it looks less thick.
    Also, with it being wider, a thinner neck will have the same stability. Some manufacturers have thinner 6ers than 4s.
    I don't think my Corvette's neck is overly thick. It's thicker than my Ibanez, but it can be managed quite well :)

14. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    Thanks... I'm still confused, but now I'm informed! :D