1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice: Exposed Core/Taperwound Low B

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bigcatJC, Sep 27, 2013.

1. bigcatJC

bigcatJC

Jul 9, 2004
    What's the skinny? Has anyone noticed any improvement in the sound of your low B when using taperwound or exposed core strings, especially on a 34 inch scale bass? I've heard a few demos on the internet that intrigue me, but I've never tried a set. Let me hear it positive or negative, and what brand(s) you tried.

2. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    I really dig the FBASS/ Labella exposed core SS strings ...great sound, tension, percussion, focused...but I found the overtones (played above 15th fret) were getting to be too much...ended up getting new strings...if you play below the 12th fret...great strings!!!

3. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    both are good - minimize the distance from full thickness to saddle witness point and you will minimize any/all ill affects. You will get more/better articulation with more robust overtones - a bit more with bare core than with a wound taper.