Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

advice for a good preamp for R&B kind

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chalie, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Hi Guys,
    I am thinking of getting a preamp that will serve me best for R&B kind of song. At first I was thinking of Ampeg SVP Pro since it is known for that (I hope I am correct) but recently I heard more and more people are using the BBE BMax Tube.
    I wonder if I should stick with SVP Pro or should I consider BBE.
    Thanks for your advice.
    :cool:

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Chalie, I have a BBE (the solid state version), and IMO you may want to go for the Ampeg when considering the style of music you want to use it for. I love my BBE, but it is VERY hifi and modern-sounding. It works great for the style of music I'm playing, but I would probaly consider a different preamp for other stuff.

3. I don't know, my BBE BMax works pretty well for the stuff
    my band does. Maybe I'm not using the same definition for
    R&B that you are. I'm talking about Temptations, Otis Redding,
    etc.

4. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    What kind of R&B? There's alot of very different sounds in that genre...you have the 60's motown type stuff with all lows and a tubey tone, the 70's soul stuff with the warm, round tone, the 70's and 80's funk stuff with the quicker, punchy tone, and you have the modern r&b with the wide frequency range and sizzle to the tone.

5. albass111

albass111 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    For versatility, the SWR Grand Prix's are very underrated preamps. They record well. THe draw back is that the high end is a little hissy but if you find one, they are pretty cheap. As far as recording old school R&B though, Flip top all the way. If you're talking about newer R&B, the SWR will deliver a crisp sound.

6. I would say the mordern r&b stuff but not necessery wide frequency range. I have my SWR for that job already but I can tune it to my satisfaction when I play r&b or 80's rock that is whay I am searching for another.

What is your openion. Thanks

7. I have SWR and "crisp" is the problem with my SWR when you wanted to get in side r&b 's groove but once you try to turn down the crisp then you are playing with a bare tube amp again. This way is too borring for me so I like to get a decent preamp for the job.

8. I can promiss you that if I going to have a single preamp. BMax sure standin the first line for sure but since I already have SWR so I like to have something wormer.
    I am not sure if there really is a different of sound between solid state and one tube preamp but people said tube is wormer.
    Thanks

9. :hyper:

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My thoughts exactly. I have a number of preamps, but for the thick warm Motown/R&B sound I would go with the SVP-Pro.