1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice for a guitar player!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by balderdash1, Apr 26, 2006.

1. balderdash1

balderdash1

Apr 26, 2006
    Hello All,

I'll try to be brief...

I'm a guitar player that's been listening to alot of Atlanta Rhythm Section lately. Paul Goddard's bass has really been putting a smile on my face!

I've been thinking about putting a small bass rig together
    just for fun. I'm leaning toward a Fender Precision kind of sound with "old school" (how I hate that phrase) amplification to match...

Can I get some ideas on what might fit the bill? As I mentioned, I'm really digging that 70's boogie (not Mesa)
    sound.

Thanks...

Jeff

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    What's your budget looking like? That will help us give you a better idea of what is available.

3. old school = Fender + Ampeg. Both some of the cheaper gear available IMO.

4. balderdash1

balderdash1

Apr 26, 2006
    Budget is probably in the $1500-$2000 grand range. I know not alot to some of you major bass dude's

Thinking that it might be fun to play with some bud's live too..

Are any of the current lower priced Fender Precisions decent?
    I know I may have to replace pickups and such..

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Right. A "small bass rig" that's "old school" most likely means an Ampeg B-15 combo amp, or a Fender Bassman head + cabinet.

That's the classic combination...

MM

6. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    fender p with flatwound strings maybe?

7. Play lots of fender MIM Ps. If you find one you like, you don't need to replace the pickups at all. In fact if you're going to drop a couple hundred more on pickups you might as well as get the CIJ fender. You might as well shop around used too and get all this even cheaper....

+1 to ampeg B-15. In case you didn't notice since guitar amps usually get miced, a lot of times bass amps get direct outs or go direct. You can use the B-15 as a stage monitor but still get the old school ampeg/fender sound.

8. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    For a good "old school" sound you'll need big flats, Fender 9050m or Labella Jamersons. I'm not sure how well the MIM Pbasses necks can handle that tension. I think you'd be better off looking for a used MIA. I found mine in perfect condition for $600. That would seem to fit your budget.

9. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Great suggestions, but if you go directly from guitar to Labella Jamersons, be prepared to take your vitamins, eat your Wheaties, etc.! Stock up on Ace Bandages! :p

10. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Yeah, but if guitar players did that, they wouldn't ever say bass is easier.

11. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    +10!

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    A Fender Highway 1 P-Bass is a great buy for ~$600. It's a great bass; built well with a fantastic sound. I use mine as my "daily driver".