Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice for a major operation.....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Warwickluvr, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Warwickluvr

Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    I'm currently modding an Ibanez P-Bass and I'm thinking about putting a Bartolni MM "Classic Bass" into it. However, the bass's current pickups are typical P-pups so to install the Classic Bass, I'd have to re-carve the holes. I've never done anything like this to a bass before so I was wondering if anyone has done anything similar to their bass in the past and if so, would like to share some advice?

I'm mostly worried that if I start carving into the shell where the pickups are, the rest of the body's shell will crack. (Like when a pond freezes over and it breaks in the middle, the rest seems to crack as well.)

PS: If anyone wants to suggest a different pickup that may be easier to replace/fit better/sound better, I'm open to ideas.

2. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    i had to drill a completely new hole to fit in a SD single coil into my p bass and that was a major pain in the ass and i cant tell you how many dremel bits i went through to do it. it turned out to be okay and with some fit touches the hole was pretty clean but it didnt matter cuz i had the pick guard to cover it all up. im sure someone will say itll effect your tone but it defintealy wont crack your bass unless you do something really rough to it. dremel tools are tedious but get the job done, expect to make a mess. also you can refill any spaces the pickups do not take with wood putty, you can get that stuff at home depot for like $3.

3. About 20 years ago I had the same problem to put EMG's in my Ibanez Musician M924. I just cut out all the wood inbetween the pu's so there was plenty of room. And until today the body is as rigid as it has always been.
    Put a plate on top of it and everything looks neat again. Just go for it. And if you aren't sure, go to an exprienced cabinet-maker. They know how to handle these kind of operations.
    [​IMG]

4. Warwickluvr

Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    Wow, thanks a lot. Plus, the bass is solid black to begin with, so it should be easy to cover up with a square pick guard.

I apprieciate your advice. :)