1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice For A Newbie?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by phnord, Aug 21, 2012.

1. phnord

phnord

Oct 26, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm interested in purchasing an EUB, but as I'm new to this I'd like some feedback.

While I started my bass playing on upright 17 years ago, I quickly took to electric bass. I stopped playing my upright altogether about ten years ago.

Lately I've been playing a lot of jazz, and a drummer I play with has an old Carruthers Guitars SUB-1 bass that I decided to try out. I freaking LOVE it! It feels so natural in my hands... I feel like I'm accessing my voice as a musician for the first time. Unfortunately it belongs to his nephew, and he'll be taking it back soon...

I recently tried out a Stagg EUB priced at $600 at Sam Ash. It didn't do anything for me. Comparing the two, here's what I found I liked about the SUB-1:

Action: it felt incredibly smooth and easy to play. The strings are practically touching the fingerboard, making the playability incredibly easy. It feels just as easy to hold down the strings as my bass guitars (maybe even easier).

Sound: the tone was pretty great, and when given some reverb it sounded pretty identical to an acoustic upright except a bit clearer - which I count as a good thing.

Body: I loved having a thin stick that I could swing around easily and position however felt comfortable.

Since I liked it so much, I'm definitely interested in buying one... but Carruthers from what I understand are a bit pricey - even used they seem to be at least double or tripple what that Stagg cost. I don't have that kind of money lying around.

So - what would you guys recommend as a cheap EUB, given the qualities that I'm looking for?

Thanks!

- Andy

2. vertkurt

vertkurt

Aug 8, 2012
    Well check out the NS megathread and Ergo megathread and see what you can find there.

3. You definitely get what you pay for in the EUB realm. I tried out a Palatino thinking it would "get me by." But I had a chance to play an Alegro BSX and realized that the extra $1000 would be worth it in the long run. Since you already play and know what you like, I'd say "buy right, buy once."