Advice for a novice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Swizzlestick, Mar 3, 2003.

1. I am in bad need of a new amp , however I have limited funds. I am currently playing thru a Crate BX100 and am lost when ever we play unless I am miked thru the PA. I have been looking at the Carvin R600 Cyclops combo and reading the reviews here on TB. At $900 it is already out of my price range and if some of the reliability and tone issues are true may not be worth it. I am also considering a Fender bassman 200 and have played thru one in a local shop. Will it give me the power and improved tone I seek? And will it be a good match with my axe? (American Jazz)
    Thanks for any feedback. Swizzle.

2. if you buy used equipment you can get a lot more for your money, also avatar(www.avatarspeakers.com) makes good cabs with reasonable prices

3. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    The BX100 is one loud amp, I used to have one. If you're having volume problems with that rig, you might want to consider a modular system with a head and a few cabs. Maybe a 250 watt stereo amp with a 2x10 and a 1x15? That would get pretty loud, not break the bank, and be much easier on the back than that 1 ton Cyclops.

4. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    whats your price range?

ill take a stab in the dark here and say this:

used carvin head, R600 for $350

avatar cabinets to go underneath it. much better setup than the cyclops. If volume is your primary concern Id reccomend looking for a used 410 cab. with the 600 watt carvin head behind it a decent 410 should do very nicely. I use an R600 myself.

avoid the carvin speakers at all costs in my opinion. I have their 210 cabinet and its ok, but for the same price you can have an avatar, which is better.

5. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I second the Head/avatar cabs. If you really want a combo, though, the bassman series are great.

6. Go used.

7. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Go used. Probably the simplest route is a Peavey Firebass, Carvin R series, GK700/1001 and one or more cabs. It would be a lot more flexible than a combo and all of the above have direct outs so you can easily patch to the PA. Relatively cheap, too-for what you would be getting.

kim