Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice for a novice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Swizzlestick, Mar 3, 2003.

1. I am in bad need of a new amp , however I have limited funds. I am currently playing thru a Crate BX100 and am lost when ever we play unless I am miked thru the PA. I have been looking at the Carvin R600 Cyclops combo and reading the reviews here on TB. At $900 it is already out of my price range and if some of the reliability and tone issues are true may not be worth it. I am also considering a Fender bassman 200 and have played thru one in a local shop. Will it give me the power and improved tone I seek? And will it be a good match with my axe? (American Jazz)
    Thanks for any feedback. Swizzle.

2. if you buy used equipment you can get a lot more for your money, also avatar(www.avatarspeakers.com) makes good cabs with reasonable prices

3. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    The BX100 is one loud amp, I used to have one. If you're having volume problems with that rig, you might want to consider a modular system with a head and a few cabs. Maybe a 250 watt stereo amp with a 2x10 and a 1x15? That would get pretty loud, not break the bank, and be much easier on the back than that 1 ton Cyclops.

4. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    whats your price range?

ill take a stab in the dark here and say this:

used carvin head, R600 for $350

avatar cabinets to go underneath it. much better setup than the cyclops. If volume is your primary concern Id reccomend looking for a used 410 cab. with the 600 watt carvin head behind it a decent 410 should do very nicely. I use an R600 myself.

avoid the carvin speakers at all costs in my opinion. I have their 210 cabinet and its ok, but for the same price you can have an avatar, which is better.

5. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I second the Head/avatar cabs. If you really want a combo, though, the bassman series are great.

6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Go used.

7. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Go used. Probably the simplest route is a Peavey Firebass, Carvin R series, GK700/1001 and one or more cabs. It would be a lot more flexible than a combo and all of the above have direct outs so you can easily patch to the PA. Relatively cheap, too-for what you would be getting.

kim