1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice for a student musician

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassicgroove, Mar 18, 2009.

1. bassicgroove

bassicgroove

Dec 5, 2008
    I've been playing my 4-string '00 Fender Deluxe J' Bass for a while now, but I've never been fully satisfied with the tone, so now that I have some cash I'm trying to decide what the right choices for electronics are for my bass. It currently has fender's 'noiseless' stock pups on it, which I haven't actually seen on a lot of other fender j' basses (I'm thinking they might have changed their pickup design). Since i've started playing upright bass i've been using the j bass for a lot of funk and rock through my GK 1001-RB head and Epifani cab, so I was thinking about going with either the classic or original Bartolini pups, although I'm not sure if I should change the pre-amp in the bass. I bought the bass from someone else but I assume that the pre-amp is stock as well. Any advice on pickup/pre-amp selection for what is otherwise a very nice bass?

Thanks

2. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: PiGLET picks
    Fender put the noiseless pickups in their deluxe j's, even up to now. Their american and mexican standards (as well as a whole lot of their other j's) dont have them, thats why you havnt seen them much.

As for fixing up electronics, what kind of tone are you after? A warm, more vintage tone... or maybe a cutting, hi-fi tone?
    Although from what ive heard, the sound of the noiseless jazz through the stock preamp is not too bad sounding, i quite like it. It may even be that a signature j tone is not your thing?

I hear good things about dimarzio model j's from some tb'rs, and apparently its well suited to alot of settings so maybe have alook at them? Im considering buying some for my j soon, for $90 for the pair, what have i got to lose?!