1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice for a teacher of orchestral bass.

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by David Potts, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Self-help jazz books
    Hi guys

As a long time teacher of beginners on orchestral bass I also receive lots of enquiries about lessons from older people whose first interest is jazz. My advice is generally the same as my colleagues - have a good basic technical grounding, including using the bow, from a teacher of orchestral bass. They often find later that they quite like playing classical music in an amateur orchestra. I also offer them the alternate possibility of approaching some jazz colleagues of mine whose teaching, including use of the bow, I can recommend.

There are now quite a lot of self-help, teach-yourself jazz books in catalogues such Lemur Music's. Which ones in order of preference would you say are worth recommending to students in parallel with the Simandl Tutor we love/hate so much?

DP

2. The Walking Bass, by Bob Magnusson
    Ron Carter's transcriptions of Aebersold recordings "Payin' dues"and""All Bird".
    The Jazz Bass Book, by John Goldsby
    The Bass Tradition, by Todd Coolman

There are several other good ones.

Cheers,

F. Martin

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    At the risk of shameful self-promotion, may I suggest a thread of mine here on talkbass called REALLY Learning A Tune (which can be found by going to my profile and SEARCHING All Threads posted by). Also, there have been some pretty nice things said about my book. There's a review in the ISB magazine Bass World that says, in part, "... the wealth of information in this book makes it worthwhilefor jazz students looking for a concise introduction to building jazz bass lines. I (Lou Pappas) highly recommend this book as a good introduction to the fundamentals of building bass lines."

4. PM'ed, Ed

5. +1 on Ed's book.

Sorry I missed this one, man. I usually try to save you the Shameful self-promotion.
    I recommend this book to all my students.
    Fabian can play, Ed. I got his latest CD and am looking forward to hearing it.

6. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Fabian, I just checked out your MySpace page. Yes, you CAN play and I dig the writing and overall sound. How can I get a CD?

7. Fabian, do you know the expression...."kickback"?

Ed does. He'll tell ya. :bag:

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Send me an invoice!

9. The check is on the mail, Paul :bag:

10. First of all: thanks!!! :hyper:
    Second: PM'd

11. I suppose you wanna invoice too. :atoz:

12. Thanks, Paul and Fabian, for your response to my question. It sounds like dueling two bar phrases between you two!!!

DP