1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice for Aggy TH500 to DB75x users and cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by leavetheconnoli, Sep 13, 2018.

1. leavetheconnoli

leavetheconnoli Supporting Member

May 21, 2017
    New York
    Hi all, I could use a recommendation. For the last year I’ve been using the TH500 and it’s been great. Lately I’ve been eyeing the DB750 and I’m about to pull the trigger but I’m not sure if it’s a worthwhile upgrade. I play mainly small to midsize gigs, the occasional large venue and believe it or not, I’ve been running the TH500 with one Rumble 15 cabinet. First I don’t know if the DB is a worthwhile upgrade, justifying the price and weight and I’m not sure what else I’m missing as far as cabinet goes, would that be sacrilege to run an additional 15 rumble with the DB? any recommendations are appreciated thanks

2. punchclock

punchclock

Mar 19, 2007
    Kansas City
    Do you need the extra wattage of the DB750 or volume of an additional cab? I would upgrade the cab next. TH500 with an Aguilar DB115 is a beautiful thing. Then if you have the money, DB750. Then if you need more volume, another DB115. That would be a great modular set up. TH500 and 1 cab for small to medium, DB750 and both when you need the big rig.
    Just my opinion. And I love Aguilar gear, so I'm a bit biased.

3. leavetheconnoli

May 21, 2017
    New York
    Im on the fence about it. As for the cabinet, is the DB115 that much better than a rumble v3?
    It sounds good to me, but I have never tried the Aguilar. Im going for the thicker, vintage yet versatile sound.

4. punchclock

punchclock

Mar 19, 2007
    Kansas City
    I've never played the Rumble but I do have it's big brother - the Fender Bassman Pro 115 neo. Bassman is great. But I definitely like the DB115 better. Thick and vintage is kinda Aguilar's thing.

5. voided3

voided3 Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2008
    What has inspired the upgrade? It sounds like you are pretty happy with your current setup. If that is the case, a second Rumble 1x15 would give you more of what you like. If you're running out of headroom or not getting the sound you want, the DB750 certainly would be louder and more authoritative, but it may be more worthwhile to double up on cabinets if that's the goal as the TH500 is no slouch.

trey-bass, Al Kraft and punchclock like this.
  6. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    If you are getting enough volume I would look at upgrading the cab to one that IMHO has better tonal characteristics. I have run my TH500 with Bergantino NV115, CN112 and CN210 cabs and have loved them all. I currently have the two CN cabs but have not really had a gig big enough to justify both.

punchclock and Al Kraft like this.
  7. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Voided3 asked the questions that need an answer before anyone can offer a cogent recommendation. When you mentioned small to midsized gigs and then your current gear I would have figured you were a happy camper with a nice rig.

If it's volume you need and like your current sound, a second matching cab will surprise you with how much more of everything (low end fullness, volume, etc.) you'll get. With a single 15" loaded cab I believe the TH500 has more than enough power to get you into a zone where more Watts aren't going to be the answer for a sizable volume increase. IMO the most you can hope for with more power than you have now and your current single cab is a very slight volume increase with additional headroom while staying clean.

8. leavetheconnoli

May 21, 2017
    New York
    The main reason is I have run into a few shows where I could use a little more headroom. The TH sounds like its starting to struggle

9. jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I think the Rumbles are decent cabs, especially for the price but there are a lot of options out there, especially if your budget is in the range of a DB750. IMHO the cab is the singular most important piece of gear, even more important than your bass itself.

I think a single Rumble 15 cab is not going to be able to give you the max out of a DB750.

HolmeBass and punchclock like this.
  10. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    One of the big iron Aggies DB750/751 (which are great heads) could easily smoke almost any single driver cab I know of, and easily put a hurt on many multiple driver/cab set-ups. If lack of power is your problem (and I don't think that's the case with your current head and cab), a DB750/751 should close any gaps in that area.

That said, with your TH500 I think an additional cab for those situations where you feel you're not able to get the volume you need and still stay clean would be my first recommendation. While no Fender product I've owned ever let me down, I'll agree with those who feel there are some better cab choices out there (no offense to Fender).

With my TH500 I like the Berg CN212. It's a convenient cab to transport, is 4 Ohms, has high sensitivity, and the voicing tames the TH500 massive low end a bit without taking away fullness or punch. While I generally prefer 8 Ohm cabs (so I can add a second and be at 4 Ohms), the Berg just works for me and makes 500 Watts go a long way. A GK Neo 212 II or (what I own) two GK Neo 112 II's and Mesa Subway cabs also work very well for allowing a TH500 to do its best work while going easy on your back for load in/out.

11. leavetheconnoli

May 21, 2017
    New York
    I just got back from a local shop and was able to a/b my th500 with a DB115 and a Rumble v3 115.
    The difference was marginal. They both sounded excellent, just different.
    Aguilar is 3 times the cost!
    I wonder how much of tb is placebo.

12. voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    I'm curious how you would describe the tonal characteristics of each cabinet with the TH500. What bass were you playing through them?

13. leavetheconnoli

May 21, 2017
    New York
    Can someone also point me to where I can get a Greenboy Bassic? I have read great things about them and they are slick looking. Unless there is a newer model..

As for the cabs, i was using a Fender Professional Precision, same settings, volume etc for both cabs, just changed over the speakon.
    The Aggy had great definition and clarity. Nice full sound, great punch.
    The fender had very good definition, punch and fullness. The Fender did have a more vintage sound to it, more fur to the notes but not in a bad way. It was eye opening.

14. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    If you get a chance to put 400 Watts into a Mesa Subway 115 and the Fender 115, I think you will hear more than a marginal difference. On the other hand, you may like the Fender better and that's what different brands and voicing choices are all about.

Did you get a chance to try two cabs versus just one (of any brand)? I promise you that will make a world of difference that you will find much more surprising than the differences between one brand or another or 250 and 500 Watts.

Jim C likes this.
  15. voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    Thanks! How did the output level between the two cabs vary at the same settings (I.E. did one seem more efficient than the other)?

16. leavetheconnoli

May 21, 2017
    New York
    Not at all

voided3 likes this.
  17. leavetheconnoli

May 21, 2017
    New York
    I would like to try a subway, also any info on Greenboy?

18. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Great cabs by reputation and there are some folks on TB who are authorized builders. I have never played or owned one so I'm not going to be much help - as if I'm ever much help. :rollno:

leavetheconnoli likes this.
  19. jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
  20. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I don't particularly care for the Rumble cabinets
    To me, the TH500 and DB750 are entirely different amps.
    You would have to try them both to be completely sure.
    If you like loud and clean the DB750 is the winner (IMO).
    The TH can get you gritty and dirty.
    I had a TH500 but sold it; OTOH, I don't think I gave the ineractive knob thing a chance.
    It is not intuitive like other amps.

If it were me, I'd get a good cabinet first and then choose an amp.

alembicguy and punchclock like this.