Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice for anyone who likes Good Music

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Gel, Mar 17, 2001.

1. Gel

Gel

Mar 26, 2000
    Tauranga, New-Zeland
    I strongly suggest that anyone with a musically open mind to go buy----------------------------->

John Frusciante's 'To Record Only Water For Ten Days'

The guy is probably the most creative genius still alive today. The best thing about this CD over his last 2 (which are extremely good as well) is that since it is released by a label I hate very much, Warner Bros., it will be easily available.
    You have no excuse to not get it.
    Thanks you for your time.

2. I hope it's not just running water for a couple of hours.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Oh, please don't make me laugh. I've seen and heard enough of that guy in my days. Never going to forget the TV-broadcasted concert RHCP did in Stockholm before Californication was released. What was he on? He embarrased himself, the band and his fans so much, I would retire from the scene if I were him. I have absolutely NO respect whatsoever for John Frusciante. But, I guess that's my problem.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

...awfully strong words considering Cecil Taylor, Andrew Hill, Sam Rivers(NOT the guy from LB), Wayne Shorter, Ornette Coleman, etc are all still alive.

5. John rules! I have his new album, and it's great. He is clean now, by the way. Oysterman, what did he do to embarrass himself so much? I never saw that..

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    It was only shown on Swedish TV, AFAIK.

Well, either was he drunk, or high, or both - but he looked like his mind was in a completely different place. Not too surprising, he couldn't play a bar without mistakes. Sounded awful, really awful. After only around 30 minutes, when Kiedis and Flea discussed something (probably whether they should continue the show or not with the hippie on stage) Frusciante just walked to the microphone, started playing and singing something completely not-on-the-setlist. He got some strange looks from the other band members. And not long thereafter, the show was over.

Now, were the fans disappointed or what? You bet I was.

7. yeah, Frusciante also messed up pretty badly when RHCP did "Scar Tissue" on UK show Top Of The Pops- lots of funny looks from the rest of the band then too.

8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Well, maybe he is clean and sober now, but maybe the damage has been done anyway. You know, "This is your brain. This is your brain on drugs. (as a picture of a fried egg is shown.)

The after effects of intensive drug use can leave long lasting problems with short term memory and other cognitive difficulties. I'm not saying that this IS definitely what is ailing Frusciante, but it might be an explanation for his erratic behavior on stage.

jo

9. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Oyster, was the the show they played in STHLM before they played live in Gothenburg?
    I can't remember Fruiscante screwing up... didn't pay that much attention though.

10. Gel

Gel

Mar 26, 2000
    Tauranga, New-Zeland
    Sorry if I offended anyone. I respect the people mentioned above very much.

And I'd just like to add that:

1)John Frusciante's solo albums sounds nothing like The Red Hot Chili Peppers.
    2)I should have put 'rock' genius if it made anyone fell better.
    3)He hadn't played guitar for 6 years until november 1998 or something, so you technique fades. During Blood Sugar Sex Magik is technique was just verging on perfect.
    4)His brain probably is fried.
    5)You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Gel-
    ...truth be told, I wouldn't mind checking out Frusciante's solo stuff.
    That said, genius, to me, doesn't concern itself with "Rock", "Jazz", "Classical", etc.

Also, are you famaliar with guitarist Pat Martino?
    Here's a guy who had a brain aneurysm & totally forgot how to play...he slowly recovered & is now making records again AFTER he re-taught himself how to play(again).
    Talk about losing one's chops/technique...man!

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

How about Peter Green (Ex Fleetwood Mac) who fried his brain with LSD and was lost to the world for decades, but in the last few years has got back on stage? I've seen him play live a few times and it's a strange experience - he can play guitar, but doesn't seem to quite be "there". From what I heard, he can't really hold a conversation, but he has always retained musical ability somehow - different parts of the brain, I guess!

13. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Bruce, I suppose it's the same thing with Syd Barrett - his brain got more or less fried in the sixities while he was still in Pink Floyd, but I know that he did bring out a number of solo albums in the seventies. Still, he's doing nothing now, so I suppose that doesn't really stand up...

As for John Frusciante, I have heard people saying how bad he is live. To be fair though, the Beatle's last few live performances were, by all accounts, terrible, but they still managed to shine in the studio - maybe it's the same for John?

14. I saw that, it was on VH1 over here, at least part of it, I couldn't stand to watch the whole thing. He was trying to kick a very heavy heroin addiction at time and failing miserably. I'm not surprised you were disappointed, I would have been also.
    He has since, as some have already mentioned, cleaned up and is actually playing now, and trying to gain back his respectability,but I wouldn't exactly call him the most creative genius alive.

15. I think he is very creative, but you can tell he has been seriously damaged by his drug usage from the past few years. When they show video footage from the Blood Sugar Sex Magik days, he talks normal, but now he kinda stutters. And his playing isn't up to par of where it was before his dark period. I've heard one song from the album, which featured 3 acoustic guitar tracks which were out of tune from each other, but it still sounded good to my ears anyways, pretty emotional stuff.

16. i never liked him even in the studio. his tone and playing get on my nerves. nobody really seems to like One Hot Minute, but in my opinion navarro is ten times the musician frusciante is.

17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    :eek:

You mean Brian Wilson AND Phil Spector have died and nobody told me about it???

Will C.:cool:

18. don´t mean to sound like an a$$ but this cd wasn´t recorded in the studio... he just recorded it in hotel rooms and stuff on tour (or that´s what I´ve heard...) :cool:

anyway, I was thinking about buying it.. but then bought 311 - live for half the money... and then realized I could´ve bought Fugazi for the same price as 311... :)

19. jimmysquid

jimmysquid

Jul 5, 2000
    I think his guitar playing on the Blood Sugar Sex Magik is incredible. I don't mean crazy chops, just perfect funk guitar parts.

I did see them on SNL back at when that came out and Frusc screwed up a bunch of parts where it was just gtr and vocal-pretty embarrasing. Then during that middle/end section he tried to that high vocal part and just started screaming. It was pretty weird but actually kind of cool to see someone make a bunch of mistakes. It makes it more interesting and more human.

But it'd be different if I shelled out $50, or whatever concert tix are these days, and the show got cancelled cuz somebody couldn't keep their sh*t together.