1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice for aspiring Studio Players or anyone that wants to "Go Pro"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tommixx, Apr 3, 2005.

1. rivmiquiv

rivmiquiv

May 26, 2010
    I have a question

When you guys say that a gig is a gig, and to take what you can get because you don't know where it might lead, how far do you think I should take it?

2. funkygroover694

funkygroover694

Sep 3, 2009
    +1 for will lee kicking ass

3. Jamesworth

Jamesworth

Apr 8, 2011
    Wow thanks for the advice! We are trying to get our band lifted off and our guitarist and vocalist has got his own professional studio so hopefully we will be recording soon! Thanks for the advice I'll be sure to live by this the next time I record. Just for clarification, what is considered "Pro Gear" I've got a Rickenbacker ordered would this be enough to satisfy the needs of a producer?

4. I no longer play professionally full time and as such have only the equipment I use at church and on my jazz, funk and R&B gigs. Got a call to do a session that interested me and was for a local charity so I took it, BUT I only have a fretted 7 and a fretless 6 so I was slightly concerned about the engineers reaction... He gave me some good hearted ribbing about it, but as soon as I plugged in and there was no noise all was good... Plugged straight into an Avalon tube pre into protools... And I have to say it was KILLER sounding. Same reaction from the producer when he walked in and saw it, until he heard the first take :bassist: if I got back in the game I'd probably show up with a j, a p, and a good 5, but I know this bass is good enough if you know what you're doing... You can hear the track at JFLendingahand.com and clicking on the theme song... I also don't normally play country rock, but the artist is a good friend and the project seemed worthwhile...

5. drasticDUB

drasticDUB Guest

Mar 13, 2008
    kudos!!!

6. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    I couldn't find the link but that's a cool story.

7. Yeah, for some reason they took the song down... I'll see if I can find it...

8. jessestern

jessestern

Mar 14, 2011
    Los Angeles, California CA
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario, Reunion Blues, Moollon, Levy's
    Great thread guys! Just wanted to say hi and throw in my $.02.

As far as gear, if I bring one bass, it's a P bass with flats. (I believe this is changing from just a few years ago, where the one bass was the J.) If you bring two basses, bring a P and a J. If you bring 3, add a good 5 string to the mix. If you bring 4, throw in a fretless.

Of course, this depends a lot on where you live, what styles of music you're doing, etc. Unless I know the person and the project I'm working on, I always bring too many basses. I'd rather bring too many and leave them all in the cases, than to say "I have the perfect bass for this song ... at home."

These days I'm doing a lot more bass sessions online, in my own studio. Since my studio is designed for a bassist (me), I always have the right gear!

If you're doing a lot of work, a good preamp or direct box is a worthwhile investment. I'm personally not a big fan of Avalons - they're ok. The Manley Vox Box sounds amazing for bass. Also Summit makes a good DI box pre. Demeters are pretty nice too. Aphex has some new gear that is worth checking out too. The industry standard is still the Neve. API too, but they are cleaner, sometimes too clean for bass. If you're just starting out doing session work, let the studio spend their money on preamps, and use whatever they have.

You should do it as long as it's fun. If you're doing it because you think it's going to "go somewhere", you're very likely doing it for the wrong reasons.

To see and hear a few of the things I've done, please visit my web site Session Bassist Online dot com.

9. Quick facts about me: 29 yo, playing bass for one year (taking it seriously enough), a Fender MIM J, a Squier CV 50's P, a small 10w amp, a new blues-rock band and lots of attitude and motivation. Not intending to do any session work/ touring anytime soon, but I'd like to become semi-pro sometime in the near future.

Even with those "stats", I've got to say this is one of the most interesting threads I've read in this site. Truly. It gives me an insight of a trade I probably will never be involved in (but who knows, maybe by the time I'm 40 I'm good enough bassist, have some spare time and give it a shot). It does sound complex, but it also sounds fascinating and fun as hell (all things considered).

Kudos to all the pros who have given so much know-how (basically for free) to inspire those who are seriously consider to become studio musicians. I wish there was something like this for careers in psychology or marketing research (that's what I studied anyways, probably headed that way eventhough bass playing will probably remain my true passion).

Suscribed!

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    So, it has been just over since years after my first post in this thread.

My latest update: I won a bass job in the Navy. I'm finally able to quit my day job, and earn my living playing music.

11. jthurston

jthurston

Nov 22, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Yep. Her name is Betsy Smittle, and she was actually pretty good back then, in a supporting bass kind of role. I say "was" because I haven't heard anything from her or about her in recent years.

I've also heard that they were a terrible band, from a purely technical perspective, although I have to wonder about that. Steve Wariner, Keith Urban and (I believe) Ty England?

Sorry, I went a little off topic there.

12. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    To me here it is in a nutshell about getting that big tour gig.

Garth said you play for two hours a day, but ride the bus for twenty-two. It was more important that you get along.)

13. socknroll1

socknroll1

Jun 20, 2011
    ......WHAT a great POST.....started over EIGHT (8!) years AGO....but DOES anyone else FIND the original POST.........takes TWICE as long to READ.........because OF the poster's STYLE of TYPING.........??!?....it IS somewhat dIsTrAcTiNg!......

I used TO work with a GUY who did THE same...........on EVERY email......HE annoyed EVERYone.....!!!?!

14. As the GUY who wrote this I take a bit of offense at this...I tried to EMPHASIZE the main points I was trying to get across by using CAPITAL letters for KEY words and PHRASES for a very specific REASON. The real MEAT of what I was saying can almost be gained from scanning the post...try it, you might be surprised what you see. If my style of writing bothers or offends you, perhaps you shouldn't bother reading any of my posts... Sorry, but I had to do it!

I think if you read enough of my hundreds, maybe even thousands of posts, you would realize that I do not always write in that style. I also think if you read enough of my posts you would realize that I write better than most....just my $.02 any way.

Oh and by the way, I was actually a college level proof reader for a time when I was in my teens. You may not like my style but my grammar is, in fact, quite good. REALTIVELY speaking, of course...

:bag:

:D

All jokes aside I do understand what you are saying but I did have a very good reason for composing it the way I did. I hope that the people who needed to get the message and were seeking the information I have provided here got it! I wrote this post after having received many questions about my experience in the business and many questions about my gear choices and work ethic.

:hyper:

Peace,

T

15. socknroll1

socknroll1

Jun 20, 2011
    Tommix, just messing with you, thank you for taking it in stride. I just find it humorous that the Internet seems to be the only place where that (and other) unusual typing styles show up.

I am still a newbie to the board and did not know whether you were still active, if that makes any difference. No offense intended. In all seriousness, thanks for sharing some great stories and reality checks in a very insightful piece.

16. Thanks! I knew you were poking in a playful way and it's all good bro! The weird thing is if we didn't have the internet I honestly believe that society would actually have far better writing skills out of necessity...I am old to remember when people actually wrote letters instead of emails and the school system actually attempted to try and teach kids to write! LOL! I just hope we eventually realize as a species that much of our world has been built on the WRITTEN word....and it seems as time goes on there are fewer and fewer writing skills being taught to the youngest of our species....now THAT is some food for thought!

Thanks again and Peace,

T

17. It took me about a week, off and on, of reading to finish this thread. Great stuff! My compliments to all who posted. Heck, I may even come back periodically to re-read it.

18. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

Mar 27, 2013
    Does it matter where you live? I don't live in "big city" area. I live in the richmond, va area. Not sure if there is a lot of studio work to be done outside of big cities.

How does one get into studio sessions? I know I have the talent and dedication to one day become a full time musician, but as far as getting into it? I have no idea lol

It's just weird. I'll use Gary Clark Jr(who is awesome btw) for an example. I was watching him on guitar center sessions and have watched youtube videos and was really paying attention to the bass. And I'm thinking "Dude! I can do that! Easily!" But HOW do I get my name in there as purely a bassist?

Last question and I'll stop! I have just now started taking lessons and am learning to sight read. How big of an advantage does that give someone?

19. davidhilton

davidhilton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 13, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
  20. Slade N

Slade N Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    portland, or
    it was stated several times that producers/engineers often prefer passive pickups...what i missed or wasnt said is why?