Advice for buying a Warwick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassWolf, Aug 14, 2004.

1. BassWolf

Aug 14, 2004
    Hey, I've recently decided it's time for a new bass and after trying out many different type i've settled on a Corvette, either by Rockbass or Warwick. I was just going to head to my local store and cough up the $500 for a rockbass when i decided to check ebay, where there are auctions for real Warwick corvettes for around $400-500. I'm really hesitant to spend that type of money when buying a bass that i can't put my hands on first. Does anyone have any tips on what to look out for when checking out these basses on ebay? Thanks.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you like the rockbass one, chances are you'd like the real one. Its better in every aspect,really.
  3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    "Let the buyer beware."

Look at the seller's feedback rating... If it's less than 100% use caution.. Read his comments and inquire if anything looks suspicious... Ask detailed questions... Don't bid until you know all the information...

I've always had good experiences on Ebay... Some have had nightmares.. A little caution will go a long way.. and remember the Ebay Golden Rule:

"If it seems to good to be true; it probably is."
  4. BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    I would certainly recommend a German-made Corvette if you can muster it. I recently bought a new German Corvette fretless from GC for $715 so even a new one isn't that much of a stretch over the price of a Rockbass. You might try Audio Images in San Francisco. They sell alot of Warwick accessories on eBay and they also sell the basses from their store.

I have noticed that several eBay sellers have mentioned strap button problems and it seems as if at least some of these folks just drilled additional holes instead of repairing the problem correctly. I had considered buying a Corvette with this problem and had no trouble at all obtaining a small piece of Bubinga wood in order to repir the problem correctly.

My personal tastes in this matter run toward passive electronics and these are usually highly reliable. The only other thing I can mention about Warwicks is the fact the the oil finished wood requires at least some attention. I wax my bass at least every two weeks (it only takes about 15 minutes) and if you do this you should never have major structural problems. The lack of a hard finish makes minor dings easy to repair and Warwicks web page tells you how to steam out dings.

Happy shopping.
  5. The rockbass line, IMO, feels and plays nothing like the 'real' Warwicks. I'd most certainly take a Fender MIM over a rockbass any day.
  6. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Yeah they feel better! Nah I only say this because I don't like most warwicks. Plus, I like the sound the active electronics put out.
  7. I wholeheartedly agree. Get a Warwick - used or new - not a Rockbass.
  8. maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    MIG real Warwick. Much better bass than Rockbass.
  9. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    I have a standard 5 wit a swamp ash body and active electronics.....
    and im sorry but i also have a fender deluxe fmt which is also active.. bout are amazing.. but you cant compare a rockbass or a mim fender[which are smit] to a real warwick......... my advice get one
  10. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    My thought on Rockbass is this: With a rockbass you get the same electronics from a real warwick, but not any of the exotic woods. As far as warwicks go I personally feel that the electronics are the worst part (I'm not a fan of MEC at all after buying my warwick). So IMO you're paying for the worst part of a warwick and not getting the best part. I got my corvette on ebay for $600. Find a used one, you'll be happier for a lot longer than with a rockbass.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

My expirence is that warwick vary greatly from bass to bass in feel , weight and some times tone. Play as many as possible of the one model bass you like and pic the one that feels and sounds the best to you. :)
  12. MM's post is dead on. +1