Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice for fixing up a Squier (several questions inside)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wdinc01, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Okay so my birthday's coming up, and I figured I could go to Guitar Center and find a new bass. Well I didn't really find one for a low price (my parents didn't wanna spend much money). I'm sure some people would tell me that I'd be getting ripped off, but whatever. None of the guitars I tried out (which were just Fenders and a Epiphone Viola Bass, which I liked but won't get right now) had really what I was looking for. They sounded like my Squier that I have now, which is to say, the treble was just sorta...blah. Although the Geddy Lee bass was nice (I LOVED the neck), it was too expensive for me.

Well anyway, getting to my point, I decided I'll just spruce up the bass I have now (a black Squier Affinity series P-bass, which I got in one of those starter packs) and I have some questions I would like answered...

1. First I was gonna buy new pick ups (DiMarzio DP127's). Can someone tell me how hard it would be to install pick ups? I havn't unscrewed my pickguard and looked inside, so I wouldn't really know.

2. Could someone give me the names of what the volume and tone control parts are, if I were to go and ask for new ones? I wanted to replace my tone because I figured I shouldn't hear a staticy sort of sound when I turn it. But then I might just replace the electronics, though my volume seems fine. Is there an certain brands I should learn towards? Like maybe one that would have a more diverse tone control without having to install another one?

3. Now after I used that Geddy Lee, I learned what the neck on God's bass guitar is like. It was so heavenly. But anyway, I thought that perhaps I could achieve something like it. So would anyone recommend (or like to stop me from) sanding down the back of my neck? Is there any sort of guide to this kind of thing? Should I not even attempt this? It would probably be one of the last things I try though, but I still want a neck like that Geddy Lee I used.

4. I'm starting to get some pretty nasty buzz with my strings. Would it be best if I bought a new bridge to eliminate this, or is there something more easy to do? I tried putting folded up paper first between the string and the saddle (I believe that's the name of it), as in where the string would rest ontop of the saddle of the bridge. It didn't help too much, so I placed some below between the saddle and the bridge plate (if you understand what I'm saying). Is it possible to put like a strip of thin foam rubber down there to get rid of it? Is there a recommended material?

5. Could someone explain in a nutshell what "copper shielding" is (my guess is that you put a thin sheet of copper around the, for lack of a better term, slot in the body where the electronics go), and also how hard it is to do, if it's highly recommended and possibly a guide to doing it (I'm pretty sure I saw one around here before. If there's one with pictures I'd greatly appreciated, if not then that's fine).

6. Is it hard to laminate a fret board? Simple yes or no. If no, then could someone send me a guide to it?

7. I was thinking about putting a large black decal over my pickguard since I don't wanna pay $50 for a new pickguard and I think my father could get one at work. Does anyone have any reason why I shouldn't use this on my pickguard? The only thing I could think of is it possibly getting scratched up if I use a pick, which is a possibility, but I don't really see that happening.

Alright, well that's all the ones I can think of for now. Thank you TONS in advance for any help anyone can give me.

2. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    :bassist:

3. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i would just stick a bunch of stickers on the pickguard. dunno if you like stickers, but i do :) .

4. I'm not too big on putting a bunch of stickers on a pickguard. But that's just me. I might save up and buy a new pickguard with a black and white praisley design <2.

And thank yyyoooouuu AerospaceGuy. I'm just not sure if there's something wrong with my guitar to the point that I need to copper shield it. From what I understood, it's something you SHOULD do as because it'll keep your electronics in better shape or...well I just figured it's something you should do, no matter what. I guess I'll scratch that idea for now.

5. orlfl

orlfl

Jul 22, 2005
    Orlando
    By the time you buy pickups and have someone install them and buy a neck (which may or may not fit the rout) and have THAT installed, and get a new pickguard and get it setup and get it shielded... whew

Just buy a used Geddy and you will have 2 basses, or sell the Squier to a budding basist to finance your upgrade.

really...

6. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Dimarzio's...., but why? Sorry, I'm not a mig Dimarzio fan, I prefer quarter pounders (by Seymour Duncan). I recently did some stuff with my squier (new neck, pixkguard) and it turned out nice. If you have 50 bucks to spare, I'd buy an SX neck, and try to get the Geddy feel with that, so if you screw up (like I did with mine) you still have a working neck incase you ever need to sell the bass. I had to mod the neck and pickguard in order for them to fit, and it was no biggie, but I did ent up smelling like burnt plastic for a few hours... Also, part of the feel of the Geddy neck, is the epoxy that's on it. I tried to epoxy my neck, and it didn't turn out so hot (which is why I had to buy an SX one), so good luck with getting that kind of feel.

Greg

7. See I don't have a job, I'm only fourteen (I'll be fifteen in a few days), and my parents don't like spending alot of money on me. Plus the only places that I know that sell used Geddy's is Musicians Friend, and that's still like $500. My Squier could get me maybe around $150. $200 if I find someone stupid enough to buy it for that price.

Plus I'm sure I can get the pick ups installed when I get them. The neck isn't a priority. You're probably right about the pickguard though, since Squier has to be so hard. That's not a priority either. And shielding...well I don't think I need it now.

But hey, if I COULD get a Geddy Lee for a good price, then I definately will take your advice. I'll look around just so I don't just ignore what you said.

Edit: And in response to Greg, I chose DiMarzio's because I think they look cool, and I've read good reviews about them. If you can recommend any other types (as you did, which I'll look into and take into consideration), then please do. The problem I'm having is that the high end sounds poor. The low end is alittle muddy, I guess would be the term. And I don't wanna spend over $100 on pick ups.

But I'll definately look into the neck you mentioned. Is there any sort of sanding I had to do for it? And do you know a place where you can by a pickguard in the shape you want but without any holes drilled in, or could you just like ask them not to?

Edit edit: Greg, please be my friend and give me a link to where I can buy an SX neck, and not an entire guitar

8. orlfl

orlfl

Jul 22, 2005
    Orlando
    There are used ones on here and bassgear quite often.

I understand about the money. I am just saying that what you are contemplating will cost you that much anyway and not really get you to where you are going.

You can buy SX necks at www.rondomusic.net. But they don't feel like a Geddy neck.

Not trying to mess you up, just trying to save you some money and aggravation. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE modding cheap guitars, but not if it is your only one and you don't have any tools/experience.

jmo...

9. And I appreciate your opinion. Really I was just gonna get pick ups, but I figured "Hey! I could do alot of other stuff for a cheaper amount of money, right?" Plus I'm in the mind-set that I could just keep my Squier forever and upgrade it when I need to.

10. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    yea, thats really never a good thing to base something on when it comes to pickups.

11. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    and i totally agree. i thought "modding" my olp would be a "great" idea.

not worth a single penny. save yourself time, frustration, and money.

and buy something used, like a geddy. it'll look better, play better, sound better... and seriously, save the cash dude.

12. Your right. I could have worded that better. What I MEANT was they caught my attention because I thought they looked cool, and then I read reviews where people said it just brought new life to their bass, so I figured I'd give them a go.

But I guess I'll just try to shop around for a used Geddy. I don't have alot of money though (right now I only have $85, which I got from not eating lunch at school. Yes, I'm cheap, I need money, and I need a job). I'll have to wait and see if I get any birthday money, but even then I don't think it'll be near enough to buy a Geddy, even if it's used. And if it IS for that price, I'm sure it'll be in poor condition.

13. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i hear ya on the money issue. how about essex basses?

www.rondomusic.com .... maybe its worth a try. those prices are in your price range, and i've heard they destroy, or at least match, MIM fenders.

14. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i think it's much better to save for a used Geddy than to buy stuff to make your Squier into a Geddy copy. if you like the Geddy that much, then save for it. the truth is, you're not gonna have a Geddy unless it's a Geddy.

15. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    agreed. 154.675% :D

16. Thanks guys. I realize the error of my ways. I will definately save up for a Geddy (can someone help me find one for a good price, even if it's used?). It'll take me awhile though, so I might go ahead and get new pick ups for my P bass anyway.

17. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    oh, well if you're going to save up your money for a geddy, good choice. However, I'm on the other end of that. I think if you mod something to your specific likings, it will be better than a stock bass because it will suit your needs to your likings. I love the geddy lee, and it's definately worth the 700 it costs, but when you can spend 50 bucks on a neck, and 60 on a pickup, it's alot cheaper than 700 dollars. I'm a 15 year old, and if can do it, so can you. However, it's your choice, do what pleases you, and if saving up your money to buy a GL, be my guest, great bass.

good luck,
    Greg

18. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Mods are good to do if you want to have some fun plaing around with your bass and putting your personal touch on it, but if you want a Geddy, save and get a Geddy. Used ones are on eBay all the time, as well as on the classifieds here. These basses hold their value pretty well, though, so you might not get as good a deal on a Geddy as many other used basses.

I'd also recommend playing as many basses as you can get your hands on to see if there are other basses you might like, too. I'd visit every music store in your area and play tons of basses, you might find something you like even more. If not, you've learned a lot and you REALLY know you want that Geddy.

19. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    ?

yea.... not happening. unless your gunna cut down a log in your backyard and start sanding.

and damn kid, you got a lot of gear for 15. you must have some ridiculous chops. or a lot of cash. or very loving parents.

2 years ago, i had.... yea.. a crate. and my **** ibanez.

20. steve21

steve21 Banned

1. First I was gonna buy new pick ups (DiMarzio DP127's). Can someone tell me how hard it would be to install pick ups? I havn't unscrewed my pickguard and looked inside, so I wouldn't really know.

It's not hard. Check whether you'd prefer the Model P or a SD Quarter Pounder.

2. Could someone give me the names of what the volume and tone control parts are, if I were to go and ask for new ones? I wanted to replace my tone because I figured I shouldn't hear a staticy sort of sound when I turn it. But then I might just replace the electronics, though my volume seems fine. Is there an certain brands I should learn towards? Like maybe one that would have a more diverse tone control without having to install another one?

Volume... and tone.

3. Now after I used that Geddy Lee, I learned what the neck on God's bass guitar is like. It was so heavenly. But anyway, I thought that perhaps I could achieve something like it. So would anyone recommend (or like to stop me from) sanding down the back of my neck? Is there any sort of guide to this kind of thing? Should I not even attempt this? It would probably be one of the last things I try though, but I still want a neck like that Geddy Lee I used.

You need rough sand paper and smooth sand paper. Then after you finish the sanding, apply a coat of Tru-Oil (can be purchased at Big 5 or WalMart in the Gun Sections) to the neck, and let it dry then wipe it off.

4. I'm starting to get some pretty nasty buzz with my strings. Would it be best if I bought a new bridge to eliminate this, or is there something more easy to do? I tried putting folded up paper first between the string and the saddle (I believe that's the name of it), as in where the string would rest ontop of the saddle of the bridge. It didn't help too much, so I placed some below between the saddle and the bridge plate (if you understand what I'm saying). Is it possible to put like a strip of thin foam rubber down there to get rid of it? Is there a recommended material?

Badass II by Leo Quan

5. Could someone explain in a nutshell what "copper shielding" is (my guess is that you put a thin sheet of copper around the, for lack of a better term, slot in the body where the electronics go), and also how hard it is to do, if it's highly recommended and possibly a guide to doing it (I'm pretty sure I saw one around here before. If there's one with pictures I'd greatly appreciated, if not then that's fine).

Copper Shielding is what you said, I can't help you.

6. Is it hard to laminate a fret board? Simple yes or no. If no, then could someone send me a guide to it?

I think it would be

7. I was thinking about putting a large black decal over my pickguard since I don't wanna pay $50 for a new pickguard and I think my father could get one at work. Does anyone have any reason why I shouldn't use this on my pickguard? The only thing I could think of is it possibly getting scratched up if I use a pick, which is a possibility, but I don't really see that happening.

Iunno