Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

advice for former double bass player?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Snowhunny007, Jun 3, 2001.

1. Snowhunny007

Snowhunny007

Jun 3, 2001
    MD
    hey- im a recent convert from the upright to the electric bass. its so hard to get used to playing horizontal!! anybody out there used to play upright have any comments/insights on the whole process of reaccustoming? anything u want to share w/ me id be happy to hear!!
    *CG*

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I started upright and bass guitar at about the same time. Best advice I can offer is to treat them as completely separate instruments.

If your hands allow it, don't limit yourself to Simandl positions on the BG. One finger per fret is one of the great advantages of the BG.

If you play pizzicato DB with the side of your right hand fingers (and the fingers pointing towards the ground), I'd forget about transferring that technique to the BG. IMO, modified RH classical guitar techniques will provides the proper foundations for muting and achieving speed. But others here disagree.

Whatever you do, try to keep both your wrists as straight as possible. Funny angles will result in injury. But don't be afraid to experiment. The BG is one of the least standardized instruments out there; technique will vary accordingly.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Before moving on to other things, I got a two year degree in classical guitar, and I agree that the R.H. technique transfers well to the BG. However, the traditional R.H. position for classical guitar involves the right wrist being quite bent to allow the fingers to straighten enough to play free strokes. My classical guitar teacher used to make me practice with a cigarette box standing up between my right wrist and the top of the guitar to get my hand in the right position. For proper free stroke technique, the bending of the wrist is essential. Rest strokes can be played without it. And I completely agree that the DB and BG are completely different instruments. When you go from one to the other, you are starting over in the physical sense.