1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice for learning bass cleff?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by GuyMcee, Jan 5, 2012.

1. I want to be able to play bass in school, so...

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I suggest ed fuqua's book on walking bass.

3. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    Are you familiar with treble clef? Makes it a bit easier since you know what to look for for notes.

When I learned it for school I needed to do it immediately, so I just wrote the note names out above the staff on my music for a bit. After a couple weeks I got used to it and could sight read, but that helped me out a lot.

I'd probably have to do the same thing if I were to have to sight read something now since I havent done it in a while

4. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    Pay a bit of attention to rhythms, identifying notes on the stave isn't too much of a problem, reading rhythms and rhythmic phrases takes more concentration. Back in the day in study, we spent an hour a day with Louis Bellson's Modern Reading text in 4/4, just clapping the rhythmic combinations to instill and recognize various combinations.

5. Find a music teacher - take lessons.

Self-teaching can work, but it's much harder to know if you're doing it right.

6. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    +1

Nothing will help you progress faster than working with a good teacher.