Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice for Major Life and Career Change?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Nov 5, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

What advice would you offer someone who is considering a MAJOR life and career change to help make the transition into a new life a littel easier?. Any second career people here?, thanks.

2. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Do one thing at a time (as much as possible).

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm on my 4th or 5th career but who's counting?!

To me change is exciting. So, I guess you could try and get them pumped up about the impending change by telling them how great it's going to be to start into something completely new and different.

brad cook

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    When I face a major upheaval, I just think one day I'll be dead and none of this crap will matter.

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Alcohol, both the cause and solution to all of mans problems - Homer Simpson

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Two things:

1. Do something you love.

2. Do something that pays gobs of money.

If you can't do #1, be sure to do #2.

I majored in geology and worked as a geologist for many (20+) years, and the ironic thing is I don't even care about geology (although I'm a pretty good geologist). I eventually got licensed as a civil and geotechnical engineer, which I liked better. Now I am an administrator and do technical work only occasionally, usually when the company's so busy I'm the only one left (out of 30).

I never aspired to be in senior management, it just happened, and I like it a lot more than geology. It's a lot harder than geology, too.

My suggestion is to make yourself open to any opportunity that presents itself. If I had anything to do with my own success, it wasn't necessarily hard work or even dumb luck (which certainly did play a role), but the ability to recognize an opportunity when it presented itself, and having the self-confidence to take the risk.

And don't be afraid to make money. The more you make, the more you can give away to your favorite causes, charities, and Roger Sadowsky. You don't have to be corrupted by it. I'll close with a quote from Cher:

"I've been poor and I've been rich. Rich is better."

7. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Exactly! If you're making a career change, make sure you're doing it for the right reasons. If you're doing it because there is no future in what you're currently doing, make sure there's money in what you're moving towards. If you're changing careers for something you love, which I will when I'm done with school as well, don't worry about anything else. Just be sure to have something lined up before leaving where your at. That's probably the best piece of advice.

8. If you can't do #1, be sure to do #2... BUT make sure you keep your eyes on #1 and try to gravitate towards it. You spend a large percentage of life at work, why be unhappy (even if you're $$$$).

9. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    1. Find something you'd do for free because you love doing it.
    2. Figure out how to make a living at it.

Alan

10. :D

I'm going to agree with everyone who said "do something you love", or at least enjoy, but be careful. I have little experience (well, ok, none), but I'd be pretty upset if I was doing something I loved with a passion as a job, and I started to hate it after a while. I wouldn't do something I hate either, but I'd be careful about blending hobbies with work and vice versa.

But like I said, I'm pretty virginial at this kind of stuff.

11. I just quit a great paying job where I had advanced to a supervisor's postion to go to college, for both music, and because I'm starting to lean towards the idea that I might want to be a math/physic's teacher. I've been a computer tech, a forestry worker, a marine, and a wastewater treatment plant operator / wastewater lab tech. The job wasn't bad, but wasn't very mentally stimulating, and after you learn how to do everything, you kinda do the same things day in and day out, it got too monotonous for me. On a side note, i played around with this idea for a long while, after I got sober, before taking the plunge, but once I decided, i planned it out. The next 2 years are pretty much set in stone, with a few contingencies in case something may happen, and I've got a rough sketch of the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th years as well, i just need a few things to fall into place to make longer term plans more concrete. My advice, tell whoever is seeking advice to plan carefully and allow margins for error and plan for catasphrophe just in case. :) Oh yeah, and I couldn't be happier, I really like college, who'd a thunk it.

12. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Now that's sound advice. Make a plan. That's something I've never been able to do. I live day by day, and sometimes even party like it's my last. :p

13. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>>> Choose, plan and work towards your 2nd career while
    you are still at your first. Don't quit your job until you've
    found that new one. It takes hard work and balls to leave
    a long time career for something new. Most people don't
    have the guts. 5 years ago, I left my job of 12 years. I got
    so fed up and pissed off, I just walked in and quit. I told my
    boss exactly what felt about him and what the organization
    had become. I took 5 months off and struggled a bit financially and emotionally; it was very cathartic. I did a lot
    of thinking and soul searching. The best thing I ever did, although I wasn't sure at the time. I wouldn't recommend my course of action for everybody, but things are better than ever for me now. I have a great new job with more money, the best boss I've ever had, and more freedom and time to play bass!! I'm gigging like a mad man!!! Life is good.

Slug

14. I've been able to leave past lives & careers behind because I have faith in myself and my own ability to handle what lies ahead. Luckily, this is kind of born out by the job market. I do have basic in-demand skills, regardless of company-type. Also, at some point you've gotten as much out of a situation as you are ever going to get, or at least are asymptotically approaching that point, and to progress, need to move on. I take the sum of the experiences with me, and find that everything I've done before helps me be more myself now.

For "life change," I assume you are talking about something like moving to a new city, and not getting divorced or coming out of the closet, or anything like that.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Don't burn any bridges as you make your changes, you may need to go back. Sometimes when you chase the greener grass, it isn't so great after all.

-Mike

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    that's my new sig... :D

17. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    So I guess that whole celibacy thing ain't working out huh? :D

18. Well I'll be facing the same thing as major in a few years. Its no mystery that companies are going over seas. I'm afraid ours will be next. Theres two things I'm good at. Machining (CNC too) and music. Throw some electrical in there too. One of those pays the bills. Unfortunately it's not music. I'm not sure what to do. All the good jobs are about gone. All thats left are retail stores and banks. Despite the oil and dirt I actually like machining. I've got to figure out a plan fast. I have a mortgage payment, car payment etc etc . I don't want to lose that. Any suggestions from those who have been there? I'd like to move to Chicago were there might be opportunity. But the big city is so different from were I live.

19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Isint that the Truth.

20. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    No need to burn bridges, but sometimes you need to jump off of them. Sometimes the important thing is to get clear of the old thing, and sometimes that has to happen before the new thing becomes clear.

(PM, MM.)