1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice for my backup squier p-bass--->upgrade electronics?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by miltonbbb, Apr 8, 2010.

1. miltonbbb

miltonbbb

Apr 8, 2010
    Hi guys, I'm a college student and do not feel like bringing my Music Man Sterling due to the possibility of it getting stolen or damaged.

I have an old Squier P-Bass lying around my house with no pick guard or electronics. I was wondering if it was worth it to:

buy new electronics
    buy new pickups - Seymour Duncan maybe
    Badass Bridge or Fender Bridge
    New Machine Heads?
    Replacement Nut is definite.

Tell me if you guys think this is worth it, or what of the above isn't worth it or even alternatives.

Thanks!.

2. I just upgraded everything on my VM Jazz apart from the machine heads. All in, I sank about $150 in parts, mostly used. I'd go for it- it'll cost you much less than a MIM Fender or the like, particularly if you can do the work yourself, and will probably sound better when all is said and done. BTW, as far as bridges, I'm think the Gotoh's are as good or better than the Badasses and at a quarter the cost.

3. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    A bass you can play is always better than a pile of parts. Here's what I would do:

1. First things first, get a pickguard and a pickup and wire it up (do a search for p-pickup recommendations and wiring diagrams).
    2. Go and have it set up (your tech can make sure the nut is slotted properly as opposed to replacing it entirely).
    3. Don't worry about new tuners or a new bridge until you've
      actually played the bass.