Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice for my brother

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jiro, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    My brother, who is younger than me, wants to play the bass and went asked me to help him buy his first bass[+more] to start playing.... Already, he has been shopping around for himself and he told me of this salesperson trying to sell him this squire pack. He seems persuaded by this which supposely comes with everything... However, my gut is telling me that this isn't the way to go.

I tried it once(squire) feels wierd...maybe its just me. Never got a chance to hear what it sounds though.

I just told him to go find a real fender P-bass to start and that he can borrow my back up peavey amp to use.

Any thoughts?

2. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    You have good Gut instinct... Squire's are made of Sawdust, Plastic, and Glue.

Not a Good Choice.

Go with Essex From Rondo music. The Brice arent bad either. And for like $130 They are increadible! Hell Most of em play better than some 200-400 Dollar Basses. I actually enjoy playing my friends Brice More than my Lakland 55-01. I am Prolly gonna pick up a 6 String Fretless from them soon :bassist: I want a Fretless but im not gonna rip the frett's outta my Cirrus 6 :eek:

My Vote is for Brice/essex

3. Your plan sounds good to me. I understand it´s "cooler" to have an own amp instead of borrowing a brother´s backup, but the tiny boxes that are included in those "bass pak" deals are not worth a damn IMO. Putting all the money into a decent bass is much more sensible choice. A nice, used Fender P or J is a safe bet.

4. There are some great deals to be had with some used MIM jazzers. I just passed on one for 200.00 and it was a very nice bass, just had no use for it. Same can be said for some peaveys, yada yada.

Get him a good used bass, that way if he's into it, he's always got a good bass. If not, you got a back up, or you can sell it for probably what you picked it up for.

5. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
  6. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I like your idea of going with a real Fender. I would avoid the Essex. The Essex brand gets a lot of praise here at Talkbass for offering a great variety of instruments at a very low price point. These are however, cheap instruments and nobody can really dispute that. I do not think that they are of any higher quality than a Squier by Fender. Quality control varies greatly (I've bought two Essex basses - one was pretty good, the other not so great…) Buying any instrument online puts you at a disadvantage in that you don't get to try it out first. I think your brother would be best served to buy a used MIM Fender P or J. If at all possible both you and he should play it and be satisfied with it before buying. He should use your amp that you have so kindly offered until he can afford one of his own.

7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Yes, those are the ones people are talking about. Yes, they are cheap basses. You can look at the Essex Bass Guitar Mega-thread here at the basses forum for more information. But, let my warn you - my personal opinion is that we all got caught up in a mob mentality in a way with our praising of these basses. The Essex praise was fueled by undeniably great customer service from Kurt at Rondo Music and a lot of excitement over a great variety of models in classic styles at an incredibly cheap price point. These are great things, but I think the reputation they have built is inflated, I don't think that these basses stand up to what people will say about them. This is just my opinion. YMMV

8. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    Lets just say the budget here is $250 canadian dollars. Thats approximately like $204 american.

9. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Actually the SX (Sorry for Essex) basses are really good. So are the Rogue if you can set them up properly. I would argue that they are "Good" basses, Not "Cheap"... I have owned and played a Couple High end basses Like a Lakland 55-94 (Sold) Dingwall After Burner I (Sold, I dont like 4 Bangers) Peavey Cirrus 6 String (Still have, Just barely High-end) MIA Deluxe Fender Jazz (Dont like the jazz Basses) and a Stingray (Sold, I actually loved this bass :bawl: )

And put up against basses like that I can tell you that they are not bad instruments. I regularly play with one, whenever I play at a friends Party, I dont use my Cirrus, I just use the SX (In case of problems) and I've never had a Problem with it. One of the Fastest/Easy/fun playing basses I have used. The best part is not having to baby it like my other basses. Hell it bounces :smug:

But All in all I would reccomend that bass.

10. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
  11. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Essex is pretty good, even for pros! The Yamaha RBX170 is downright awesome, but it can't compare with Essex's or Bryce's price tag. Like a few others said, though, stay away from Squire.

12. Another vote for an '80s Yamaha...guided a good friend to one of these when he wanted to try bass but can't remember what it was called, B-300 or something like that.
    Basically, it's a solid-color body with maple neck and rosewood board, kinda heavy, and solid enough to hammer nails with. I bought my son a Squier Bronco for Xmas last year, and it's junk; I only allow it to live in our house because he's four feet tall and can't physically handle anything bigger.
    I used to work in a store that made a lot of money off those "bass paks" at Christmastime, and set up dozens of them after we took delivery. Most came in broken in one way or another. Somehow I made them play well but they were trash, and the amps were worse. You're not going to get much of a warranty for that price anyway, so comb the used-gear music stores and classified ads in your area for something that feels like it can take a beating. Even good sound is secondary at this point...your bro should have something that will hold up until he catches on to playing bass and then get fancy.

13. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Don't forget, you can always make upgrades to improve sound. I upgraded my bass for the first time since I got it, three years ago. I can't imagine why I didn't do it sooner!!!

Most, if not all, Yamaha models are comfortably shaped, so with some new p/ups (later on, of course) he'll have one nice bass that could last him forever!!