1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice for my new rig under $1250 Metal/Punk

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sloth Wizard, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Currently what I am looking to get is a starting rack set up and cab, My Budget is $1250
    Amp/Pedal:
    Peavey Tour 700 Head $300
    Tech 21 Sansamp RBI Bass Preamp $275
    Mark Bass Compressore $115

I'm looking at cabs currently, Feel fairly confident with the amps I have looked at. I play Thrash and Punk Rock, usually playing small to medium size gigs in Pittsburgh a lot of studio stuff too as I like production and figured having the peavey and sansamp would be nice to direct in as a pair to capture my live and at home sound. I would prefer an 8ohm set up so I may get another 4x10 in the future, Also curious about 4x12 on bass, I like my bass tone a little more treble compared to most metal bass.

For cabs I have looked at under $300:
    Ampeg SVT410HE 4x10 800W
    Peavey Headliner 4x10
    Ampeg BSE410HLF
    Carvin Rl410t

I'm at a loss for cabs, I wanted to originally get a custom Avatar but found that it wasn't in my budget atm, but I have gigs coming up and I've been enslaved by using a practice berhringer amp that is Eh... I use a franken bass a Jackson C20 with a ton of modifications, Passive EMG geezer butler signature pickups.

2. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

May 20, 2002
    Provided content for Genzler Amplification
    Do you need to have the SansAmp RBI in addition to the head? If you really love the SansAmp sound, could you get by with just the pedal instead of the rack unit?
    -or-
    If you need the SansAmp RBI for your sound, how about eliminating the Peavey and just getting a power amp?

bebass and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  3. I will agree with above post I reccomend a peavey ipr 2 dsp 3000 watt power amp it should be pefect with the rbi

4. Ampeg SVT heads can be found for $800 if you're patient.

The 810 cabs can be had for $400.

DiabolusInMusic and deathness like this.
  5. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    Yeah if youre trying to build the best rig for the money might want to choose between preamp + power amp or integrated amp head. Plus is a rackmount compressor really necessary? If you can sort that out, frees up some scratch for more cab which you'll prolly want playing thrash and punk. Sartori's rec of used svt and fridge is classic loud and can dial in a ton of bite plus you can get natural sounding tube compression. If you like the peavey sound maybe an older firebass 700 head on top of a fridge which could be way south of your budget allowing you to check out pedal preamps and compressors if you really feel the need for that level of flexibility. In general, i tend to believe great tone outweighs flexibility. Your needs may be different.

Sartori likes this.
  6. Can pick up used Peavey Alphabass heads, too, for pretty cheap. Old Peavey 215s are also cheap.

A used VB-2 plus Peavey 215 or Ampeg 810 would be well within budget.

7. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    Def an alphabass or vb-2 on top of a full stack would be beastly. And Sartori brings up a great point, one of the best values in used big cabs is a peavey 2x15 with black widow speakers.

Sartori likes this.
  8. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005
    For that budget and the type of music you play, I'd go for a GK 800RB, used Ampeg 810 & SansAmp VT Bass.

Kevnn4 likes this.
  9. I am taking in this advice, however I'll probably need two 4x10s which is my goal due to having a car, but will probably look into the power amp option.

10. Pretty adamant with the Tour 700, as it also has eq shaping, but is also the same price as the firebass, deffinately need to drop the rackmounted preamp and go with the sansamp pedal insteadl, the compressore is a pedal but I can wait to get that later.

11. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

May 20, 2002
    Provided content for Genzler Amplification
    It's hard to argue against an Ampeg 8x10. It's a classic and will work great. However, lugging that around might get old pretty quick if you find yourself playing venues where a 4x10 would have been more than sufficient.

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Have you ever fit a bass cabinet into your car before? They are much deeper than guitar cabs which can make them a tricky fit. I have owned several cars that couldn't fit a 4x10 for the life of them. It is just something to think about.

13. It depends on the cab. My cab (Sunn 2000S 2x15) is the same depth as a guitar cab. So is a Greenboy Dually, from what I've heard.

Still, minivans, wagons, and hatchbacks are good cars for musicians.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  14. Batsquatch

Batsquatch

Feb 20, 2016
    Cool to see some love for peavey 215's. Here's that vb cab miked. With my lh1000 just wait till I get a tube head.