Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice for my pedal board set-up

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Creep, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Creep

Creep

Mar 12, 2004
    OK here it is, I have the following pedals:

Line 6 DL4 (Delay)
    Line 6 MM4 (Modulator)
    Boss Chorus-CEB 3
    Boss EQ GEB-7
    MXR Phaser
    Dunlop Bass Wah 105-Q

I'm kinda an experimental bass player, I like to create ambiant sounds that are thick and rich as well as play a straight hard hitting bottom end. I am looking for the best way to set up my pedals so they all complement each other. Thanks for your input

2. Just as listed, starting with the wah, going up... possibly eq. last???

3. But where does the funkdrive go Ron? LOL.

4. Ah, good question! I suggest he get said Funkdrive, two actually, and put them front and back....can never get enuff fuzz.

5. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Boss EQ GEB-7
    Dunlop Bass Wah 105-Q
    Line 6 MM4 (Modulator)
    MXR Phaser
    Line 6 DL4 (Delay)
    Boss Chorus-CEB 3

That should yeld the most interesting and usable results...

Alex

6. Me thinks that 4 would be better. All season/terrain funkdrive....

Nice to see ya here mon frere....

Jeff

7. Doesn't the Line 6 MM4 have some good chorus and Phase effects? In fact, doesn't it have almost exact models of the the MXR Phase 90 and the Boss CE-1 Chorus?

The reason I bring it up is that neither the MXR Phaser or the Boss Chorus are true bypass, and the Line 6 is...I'm not sure why you'd want to color your tone inadvertently if you've already got those effects covered.

FWIW, I play with about 7 stompboxes without true bypass, and I'm sure it colors my tone going through that chain, but I don't like looopers and would love to get the Line 6 modelers instead of all my stuff. It'd make everything so much cleaner and easier.

That said, Alex's order looks good, and putting the chorus after the delay (to get out-of-sync chorused delays) is a really cool idea.

8. Creep

Creep

Mar 12, 2004
    Mo, your right the MM4 does have those effects, however I use totally different settings with the MM4 than I do with my MXR and my Boss. The MM4 is used as more for really tweeked out ambiant effect and the other have a bit more "straight up" setting. Thanks for your imput though I do truly appreciate it. :) :bassist:

9. No problem. I was mainly asking for my own benefit...I'm looking to scale down my setup, and a MM4, DL4, and FM4 would seem to replace pretty much everything I have really well. Since I saw you used the MM4 IN ADDITION to the Boss Chorus and MXR Phaser, I was worried that maybe the MM4 didn't really do that good a job imitating those effects.

PS, I saw in another thread that you might be trying to sell it. I might be in touch.

10. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Since you axed:
    Technically speaking, I understand it's considered best to place envelope FX first in a chain, then distortion/modulation, and then EQ and/or delay last. Ideally, you get them in an order that least robs the meat out of your signal.
    Of course, you also have to decide whether you want your distorted delay flanged or your flanged distortion delayed, if you get my drift.

I would suggest:
    Dunlop Bass Wah 105-Q
    Boss Chorus-CEB 3
    Line 6 MM4 (Modulator)
    Boss EQ GEB-7
    Line 6 DL4 (Delay)
    MXR Phaser

Which hopefully gives you the least tone-robbery, plus some good options in terms of making wacky noises w/ the two mod units (MM4 and MXR phaser).

BTW - love the MM4. My guitarist got one and I'm totally jealous. Love the DL4, too, for that matter.