Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice for new pickup for 5 string acoustic/electric?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BWB, May 17, 2005.

1. BWB

BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    I own a Dean Performer 5. It's a 5 string acoustic/electric bass guitar.

Unplugged, this bass sounds terrific. I would love it if it sounded like it does acoustic when it's plugged in. It doesn't.

It uses a Shadow P7 EQ and pickup combo that sounds awful. Dean saw fit to mount the pickup under the top of the bridge under the bridge itself - meaning the pickup cannot be moved. It sounds fabulous on the top 2 strings and absolutely terrible on the highest 3 strings. Inconsistent volume output, tone distortion - it's horrible. Believe me, I've tried it all - I've been messing with this thing off and on for a year now. More experiments this weekend have led me to the conclusion I need "something else" for it.

Again - the bass sounds great unplugged.

Please provide me with suggestions on what might sound good for a new pickup for this thing. Just for the hell of it, I borrowed a Dean Markley acoustic guitar pickup and the bass sounded remarkably like 'itself' except the low B string, which was rolled off by the pickup.

All I want is uniform tone and volume output to reproduce the sound the bass actually makes - because the tone that P7 unit that is inside the bass makes it sounds both nothing like it and terrible tonewise.

Thanks !