1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice for new pickup for 5 string acoustic/electric?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BWB, May 17, 2005.

1. BWB

BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    I own a Dean Performer 5. It's a 5 string acoustic/electric bass guitar.

Unplugged, this bass sounds terrific. I would love it if it sounded like it does acoustic when it's plugged in. It doesn't.

It uses a Shadow P7 EQ and pickup combo that sounds awful. Dean saw fit to mount the pickup under the top of the bridge under the bridge itself - meaning the pickup cannot be moved. It sounds fabulous on the top 2 strings and absolutely terrible on the highest 3 strings. Inconsistent volume output, tone distortion - it's horrible. Believe me, I've tried it all - I've been messing with this thing off and on for a year now. More experiments this weekend have led me to the conclusion I need "something else" for it.

Again - the bass sounds great unplugged.

Please provide me with suggestions on what might sound good for a new pickup for this thing. Just for the hell of it, I borrowed a Dean Markley acoustic guitar pickup and the bass sounded remarkably like 'itself' except the low B string, which was rolled off by the pickup.

All I want is uniform tone and volume output to reproduce the sound the bass actually makes - because the tone that P7 unit that is inside the bass makes it sounds both nothing like it and terrible tonewise.

Thanks !

2. BWB

BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN