Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice for Playing with a Synth Player

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I've recently started talking with a Synth player, and when the summer comes around in about two weeks, we are going to jam. Any advice? He's currently writing electronica/techno kinda stuff... I currently am trying to sound Les like Claypool (hHAHHAHHAHHAHhahhah LLOLOL!!!11).

Hmm?

2. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Duck tape his left hand to his body.

3. My only advice... as lame as it might be... is this. It's worked for me most of the time:

I will listen to what somebody is playing and not make a noise. If I can hear a bassline in my head that fits the music, I'll try to reproduce that. The problem with this is when someone is all over the place. I tried jamming with a dj and he would mix in a record and the key would change. Then the feel would change. Ooops! Here comes a new beat and a new record. I couldn't get him to play the same record combos twice. Kept me on my toes! I bet I had serious bassface... :D

4. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)

What about both hands?... What about firing him? :D

Just kidding! But I still hate them (at some point I made a decision I'd use sequenced tracks instead and have done succesfuly without a keyboardist -and much more peace of mind- for the last 5 years). On the other hand, if it's unavoidable, then nemo's method is ok. ;)

ANDRUCA

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...or at least stick a beer in it.

BTW, it's "duct" tape.

;)

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Good advice. Yeah I need to approach it like this, considering we play completely different music. Just so everyone knows, I've heard his music and he has a very spacious minimalistic approach. I actually would love to have a fretless and play with this guy.

Plus if he's playing a busy bassline, I'll play a leadish counterpoint.

Now I'm going to have to go out and buy Watt's latest album, Bass Keys and Drums.

Hey that's a good idea: I might have to have this moved to recordings, but what are some good bands to cite as influence... here's what I'm thinking (not all synth... but stiill)

Watt
    Emerson Lake and Palmer
    Gary Numan

Any other ideas?

7. jadesmar

jadesmar

Feb 17, 2003
    Ottawa, ON
    There's a band called Niacin with the same lineup.
    -> Billy Sheehan (bass), Dennis Chambers (drums), John Novello (keys)

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, John Novello is from the Erie Area... I really should check that out. Thanks! :)

9. Sure? :D

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ;)
    I guess so many(including me) have called it "duck" tape over the years...the manufacturers figured, 'If ya can't beat 'em, join 'em".