Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice for Recording.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by pontz, Sep 12, 2005.

1. pontz

pontz

Oct 31, 2003
    CT
    Over the past two years I’ve gained a lot of confidence in my playing from gigging regularly with a variety of different groups. Last week I was offered a new challenge. I got a call from a bluegrass/folk singer/songwriter who wants me to lay down the bass tracks for her album. I told her I needed to hear the music first to see if I could get into it. Man, it turns out that she’s really good and the other cats she’s working with are too (guitar, mando and dobro). So I auditioned Sat, and I’m in.

I’ve never recorded before though. I figure my lines need to be simple but tasty, complimentary to the melody and consistent. I’ll be playing fretless plugged straight into the studio’s (whatever it is) for a sound that is more acoustic than electric. The tone I got on Saturday, with almost no effort, was perfect for the music.

Anyway, I’d love to hear some advice from some of you guys who have experience recording.

Cheers, Pontz

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    In a situation like what you're doing, I wouldn't do anything the least bit different. You have a good sound that you like and everyone else likes. And 90% of getting a good sound in the studio is playing lines that fit the music well. So what advice could you possibly need?

3. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    The recording process has really taught me that less IS truly more. A lot of what many of us play on the bandstand serves only to entertain ourselves and does not make the music sound better.

4. pontz

pontz

Oct 31, 2003
    CT

I guess you're right, but I'm a little nerveous. So I thought that if there were any commmon newbie pitfall, it would be better to know about them now. Not when I'm trapped in that little booth. Thanks.

5. pontz

pontz

Oct 31, 2003
    CT

That sentiment became clear to me 20 minutes into the audition. They played a song for me once and then put me in the booth with a headset on and a chart. I played along and we all listened to the playback. For the first 2 verses and chorus I sounded awful, IMO, because I overplayed, but then I settled into the pocket and before the track ended I actually put down a couple ideas that I'm going to use.

6. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Congrats on your new gig.

Moved to Recordings. You may have better luck there.