Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice for removing carpet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by coyoteboy, Sep 10, 2004.

1. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I've got a cab I want to recover, and I was just wondering if any of y'all have done the same, and might be able to offer any tips. Just slice it open and grab a corner with a pair of pliers and start ripping? What is a good solvent to use to remove the adhesive? General stuff like that.

thanks in advance.

2. HannibalSpector

HannibalSpector

Mar 27, 2002
    Australia
    Thinners works well to dissolve contact glues.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I skinned a Hartke cabinet by simply finding a seam and peeling the carpet back...was almost too easy!!! I spent more time removing the grille and the hardware (corners, handles, input cup) than I did actually peeling carpet.

I'd avoid thinner if at all possible. I wouldn't want a bunch of flammable stuff soaking into my cabinet, plus the fumes, etc. are nasty (and not environmentally friendly).

I've also found that if you pull along the plane of the panel (i.e. peel it back rather than pulling directly away from the surface) it goes easier.

Have fun!!!!

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You might want to have "Chuckie's in Love" coming through the stereo while you do it, just to set the mood :)

I think Billy might be right yet again. I had a cab that eventually came away at the seam. The carpet damn nearly fell off by itself on no time at all.

5. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Thanks for the replies guys. This cab is actually going to get a Line-X spray job, so I think it would be a good idea to make sure the glue is removed. The tricky part will be masking the openings so that the spray doesn't get inside, but I think I have an idea for that involving a couple of fitted discs to take the place of the drivers.

6. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Sorta OT, but I have an older Hartke 410 cab & I always hated the fabric/carpet type covering. I wish they had tolex...

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Matt...it's a relatively easy project to remove the carpet and recover with what ever you want...

8. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've been thinking about doing it! :D